NXT Cable Length

sheakx

Furuno Super Fan
Is it OK to shorten the connection cable on the NXT radar unit? I needed to cut the Ethernet connector off to run the cable and have 35 extra feet of cable. As long as I need to reconnect I thought I would get rid of most of the extra length if this is OK.

Yes, it is possible to shorten it in your case example. You will need to ensure you are using good a good quality metal RJ45 replacement connector.

For other readers, you must be very careful reducing the length of some cables because cable loss has been taken into account by design. For power as an example the cable loss is many times taken into consideration and if you remove that loss, the voltage can enter a unit higher than allowed and smoke something. Same goes for many of your signal lines. So when in doubt ask; just as Sheakx is about his install.

Sheakx
Officially the shortest cable is 5 meters (~15 feet). Since the cable (power/data) blends together it might be very tricky to cut back the cable and do it correctly (never seen done/don't recommend). You might want to consider ordering the radar with the correct 5 meter cable (p/n SN3-000-000-68) instead of the 15 meter that comes with it and then just keep any extra cable coiled someplace. If you really want to cut up a new cable cable, it might be better to order the older 5 meter DRS cable (like the DRS4D uses, p/n SG3-000-000-79) that is much easier to cut back because the power and data are separated the entire way. You would have to remove the pigtail cable from inside the NXT and wire the cable direct into the dome. Using that, you "should" be able to cut the cable to the 10 feet you are looking for (at 12V).

I have the same question about the NXT cable. I'm planning for an installation and do NOT want to deal with the pigtail and connecting the cables where that connection will be inside a t-top leg. Can I order the NXT with a 5M cable, cut off the pigtail and wire the main cable from my TZT2 directly to the RADAR? If so, I have 2 questions:
1) Will that require de-soldering any connections from the pigtail to the boards?
2) Will this void my warranty?

Thanks!

I have a 1724C Radar with 10m radar cable. My fishing boat is very small (the distance from the dome to the display is 3m only), so can I cut the cable to the 5m cable? If not what is the shortest cable length for my system?
Thank you

Attachments

• 1724C.jpg
    1724C.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,294
5 meters is the shortest allowed for analog radars like the 1724c. If you cut is any shorter, the radar timing will not be able to adjust and you will have problems with the proper display of the radar image.

Back