VX2 radar - "blinking" all returns disappearing from screen

cptkatz

Hi:

Have a VX2 BB system with Furuno monitor and 12Kw open array radar.

Occasionally the radar returns will suddenly disappear from the screen and re-appear. All of the other radar display page graphics remain visible. Where should we look for the problem, radar gearbox? wiring? VX2BB? Thanks

see the link below for a video of an instance of the radar image disappearing and re-appearing. and the attached pictures

https://youtu.be/9EgmpKwKCy8

Attachments

• rradar_image_missing.jpg
    rradar_image_missing.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,835
  • rradar_image_ok.jpg
    rradar_image_ok.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,835
Good morning cptkatz,

Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate you sharing the video, I have a couple of follow up questions.

1.) Is the Vx2 connected to a heading sensor? If it is what is the source of heading?
2.) When the echo disappears do you get any alarms or messages in the alarm log?

If you do have a heading connected to the Vx2, the next chance you get I would like you to disconnect the heading source, then power the system up and run the radar. Let us know if this fixes the issue. In past experience we have seen this issue arise from a inconsistent heading source, IE: noise or heading that is too slow. If the issue goes away when the heading is disconnected then we need to try and figure out the root cause.

If you can answer the questions above and let us know the outcome we will give you a couple of other ideas to try and fix the issue permanently.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

To me, it appears it's redrawing the radar targets because an encoder( i think on this model radar the encoder is part of the motor, not 100% positive) issue, or the "read switch" the little magnetic sensor that tells the radar the location to paint the radar targets on the screen.

Most likely encoder issue, or heading input sensor.

Also, have you attempted to put grease on the gears in the antenna? If so this would cause the issue you are seeing.

You should never, put/add grease to the Furuno radars.

I agree this issue could be caused by several things including the bearing pulse switch LSUradarTech talks about. Did you come up with any of the answers to the questions Cbass asked? Does the radar do this when not in overlay or just when in overlay mode?

thanks for all the ideas!

to answer a few questions:

- no heading sensor connected to VX2 radar system

- radar not operating in (chart) overlay mode

- When the echo disappears we do not get any visual or audible alarms

- no grease added to the gears (gearbox not even opened recently)

- no "bearing pulse" or "heading pulse" alarms

- the issue only happens once in a while while boat is underway, can not reproduce the issue at sea or at the dock - it just seems to happen randomly then goes back to normal.

thanks

The best bet is the heading pulse switch up in the scanner. (aka Reed Relay)
It is fairly easy to replace and not very expensive. I would try that first. If you tell your dealer he will know what it is.

Back