4' Open Array RSB-0070 to NavNet VX2 RDP-148 7" display?

A

Anonymous

I am hoping to DIRECTLY connect a 4' open array (RSB-0070 S/N R100-3610) to the smaller, 7" NavNet VX2 display (RDP-148). The open array has a rounded connector, but the 7" display looks to have a rectangular connector. Is this possible, either via soldering on a new connector or via an adaptor? Would there be any loss of radar functionality as compared to connecting this scanner to the 10" NavNet VX2 display (RDP-149)? Many thanks in advance, Kyle

No, the RSB0070 is designed for the 10.4" Navnet and will not work directly connected to the 7" display.

I have the same situation, I am removing my 10.4" RDP-149 and would like to replace with a 7" display, such as the RDP-148. If my round connector open array will not work, what 3.5' or 4' open array models will work with an RDP-148 7" NavNet VX2? Can I keep my antenna and just get a new gearbox with a rectangular connector?

NO, the 7" units and 10" units use entirely different types of radar. (processing is different) Also the 7" display power supply doesn't have the power to run larger radars even if you could. Attempting such a connection will most likely result in a big puff of smoke and an expensive conversation piece.

I can understand that they are different types of radar so I would need to replace my current 4kw open array antenna/gearbox, but the 7" units came with 2kw OR 4kw domes, so why can't I replace my round connector 4kw open array with a rectangular connector open array of the same 4kw power? Not looking to upgrade power to 6kw or 12kw. Is there simply NO way to use a 4kw 3.5" open array with a 7" unit? I just can't go to a dome after an open array. Please help!

Have you compared the size of the motor used in a dome to that of one used an open array? This is part of the extra power I am talking about that your 7" display is not designed to support. I know that it isn't the answer you want to hear, but you can't do it and have it work.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation Johnny. If I am stuck on an open array but only have enough real estate on the dash for something the size of the 7" unit, could I use one of the new Furuno 1815 8" units? Now that everything is digital, I would like to think that there would be less power draw so maybe the 1815 would support a small open array. Any chance that might work?

The 1815 radar uses an entire different type of digital radar that connects via a network cable type of connection. It is a great unit but you would have to replace the old radar entirely. You could not reuse that older analog scanner with any of our newer products except maybe the 1835/1935/1945 display.

Yes I understand that I will have to buy another open array but my question is can I use a small open array antenna with the new small screen 1815 radar?

No the 1815 only comes with a dome option. If you want just a radar you would be looking at the 1935. If you want a multisystem; you would be looking at a TZT or TZT2 with DRS6A.

Back