MDF12 Navnet 3D & DRS6A - DRS6A not found

Squished

:angry :angry :angry

Just recently had an install done on my boat by an authorized Furuno dealer. It was a mix of new and pre-owned Furuno parts/equipment. The install consisted of:

MFD12
RD-30
FCV585
DRS6a
B-164

Everything is working except for the DRS6a. It cannot be found by the MFD12. According to the dealer that did the install, here's what they tried:

1. Tested cable from other furuno dealer with cable testers – tested OK (prior to cutting and supposedly after cutting)
2. Tested cable from other furuno dealer on drs6a – radar not found on MFD12 (after cutting)
3. Tested brand new DRS cable on drs6a – radar not found on MFD12
4. Tested cable from other furuno dealer on brand new DRS4D – radar found on MFD12
5. Tested brand new cable on brand new DRS4D – radar found on MFD12

At this point they proceeded to tell me that the transmit unit was bad so we pulled the board and sent it back to the authorized Furuno dealer I bought it from. They bench tested it and found it be 100% operational. Threw it in a gear box and it works perfect directly connected to an MFD12 and through a hub101.

So as of right now I'm at a loss. I'm an IT guy by trade and I'm leaning towards a LAN cable failure. The dealer doing the install DID cut the cable to shorten it between the MFD12 and DRS6a, but it still tests OK. That being said I've seen cables test OK in my own practice but are still junk because of bad crimps, etc. My question is though, looking at steps 1-5 above,

Given the fact that the cable I gave the dealer was run through my t-top and just long enough to fit into my gearbox, I'm wondering if steps 3 and 4 really did occur above?

What do you guys think it could be at this point? I'm not even sure where to begin troubleshooting this but I'm getting slightly irritated. Should I run just a regular LAN cable from the board to my MFD12 and just test it that way? Maybe they crimp bad/weak connectors on the end that test OK but still are no good. Is this possible? The ends only have 2 pairs of wires in them, are all 4 pairs needed to power the DRS6a with the MFD12?

Thanks in advance.

Should I run just a regular LAN cable from the board to my MFD12 and just test it that way?

Yes you should. Cable testers are not worth much because they don't test how high speed data works in the cable. You can ohm the cable good with a tester but a twisted cable can act as an inductor and filter high freq data. The power part of the scanner cable should remain to power the radar.

Johnny Electron":19wthmsn said:
Should I run just a regular LAN cable from the board to my MFD12 and just test it that way?

Yes you should. Cable testers are not worth much because they don't test how high speed data works in the cable. You can ohm the cable good with a tester but a twisted cable can act as an inductor and filter high freq data. The power part of the scanner cable should remain to power the radar.

Should the cable be a straight though or crossover? All I have is 4 pair is that ok?

For testing all 8 wires (4 pair) is okay. Straight or Cross will work. The NavNet has auto sensing ports so it works either way.

So here's something interesting regarding the pinouts on my ethernet cable the installer did.

The cable going into the Furuno MFD12:

1 - Blue Stripe
2 - Blue
3 - Orange Stripe
4 - empty
5 - empty
6 - Orange
7 - empty
8 - empty

The cable end going into the DRS6A:

1 - Orange Stripe
2 - Orange
3 - Blue Stripe
4 - Empty
5 - Empty
6 - Blue
7 - empty
8 - empty

Is this right? Seems OK to me but I did come up with another problem....check out this end that he crimped....notice anything wrong?

I'm an IT guy by trade and build network cables for a living. This is why we don't use the cheater connectors. Notice an issue at 5/6?

Attachments

• 20160828_173536.jpg
    20160828_173536.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 2,104
One thing he didn't use shielded metal connectors. Plastic is okay for a quick test but not for use on the system. Plastic is a BIG no-no.
Next he improperly pinned the RJ45 for pins 1,2,3,5 when Ethernet is 1,2,3,6.
Lastly, the connector pins don't look clean to me.

Why are shielded metal connectors necessary? The only time I would use a shielded connector is if the cable is acting as a ground which is not necessary in this case. Sorry, don't mean to challenge you on it but curious what's the reasoning? A shielded connector is merely a plastic connector with metal around it. It's still plastic....

The stock cable (which says DO NOT CUT by the way) is made of a high speed rated network cable, with shielding on the outside to prevent inductance. This protects the data wires from getting noise from other RF on the boat. The metal connector contacts the metal shield wire of the cable providing a path to short interference to ground. Without it, the results will normally be negative at one time or another. We use speed rated cable to ensure the data signal can get to the end of the cable without distortion. Those who take short cuts normally pay the price.

Interesting. I had a feeling it was over RF interference. No big deal I can put shielded connectors back on and make the connection with ease. That's what I do and the industry I'm in. Let me see if my problem is rectified fixing the pin out.

Now the big question, why am I paying $110/hour labor charge to an AUTHORIZED Furuno dealer (and they definitely make sure you know they are authorized) to cut cables that say DO NOT CUT and put on the incorrect connectors? Is there no Furuno training school or anything like that? Sorry a bit of a loaded question, but you can tell I'm slightly annoyed at the situation.

The warning is there for the untrained, because if not done correctly, it can have problems. We try to keep the forum focused on equipment related questions and answers but I think you should talk to the Furuno Service Manager about the dealer who worked on your unit.

Can you put me in touch? I just called in trying to find you but it seems they keep you hidden pretty good. John in tech support took my phone number, anyone can give me a call.

EDITED

Squished-
It is probably best to PM a moderator and let them address the issue with the dealers.
We will follow up.

Melville":1zbmbl7d said:
Squished-
It is probably best to PM a moderator and let them address the issue with the dealers.
We will follow up.

No problem. Just edited my last post. Feel free to call me.

Thank you,

Mark

I had these shielded connectors I got from a friend, not too please with them but all the pins tested out correctly and its grounded out through the cable. Regardless, since the pins are right i'll throw in the board tomorrow and see if we're in business. I suspect it will be just fine. :jump

Furuno tech support has been A+ on this. Especially since I've been a pain in the ass. :)

Attachments

• 20160830_183716.jpg
    20160830_183716.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,576
  • 20160830_183748.jpg
    20160830_183748.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,576
The connector should work for now but I don't know how good it will hold for the long term. I recommend the USA made Panduit RJ45 connectors for when a connector needs replacement. Yes, I am sorry. The Johnny Electronic identity is a closely held secret. I am sure John in support has fielded many calls over the years but there is no association with the name. Less than a handful of people outside the company know. :cool
It was good that we spoke on today. I am sure you are on the road to success.

Johnny Electron":2649o7m9 said:
The connector should work for now but I don't know how good it will hold for the long term. I recommend the USA made Panduit RJ45 connectors for when a connector needs replacement. Yes, I am sorry. The Johnny Electronic identity is a closely held secret. I am sure John in support has fielded many calls over the years but there is no association with the name. Less than a handful of people outside the company know. :cool
It was good that we spoke on today. I am sure you are on the road to success.

I need to buy that tool, but not till I can bill a customer for it. :jump A $300 crimper....would love to add it to the toolbox but can't justify it at the moment.

I'm confident my crimp will hold but I think I'll redo it and throw some heatshrink on the end just to close it up a bit.

I'm just more curious if the whole thing fires up over a bad connector. Hundreds of dollars spend diagnosing, hundreds spent overnighting the board back to who I bought it from, all because of a $0.15 connector.

Moment of truth tomorrow, picking the board back up and we'll see.

Popped the board back in.....fired up instantly. Works beautiful.

Needless to say the installer was more than reasonable and they are in the process of making good on the SNAFU.

Back