Water in XN13A/6 Radiator -- How to Drain/Dry?

T

Toccata

In diagnosing the cause of "tuning" errors that have recently started to occur on my 3D system (DRS12A base with 6-foot XN13A open array), I discovered my radiator (manufactured in ~2011) has water in it. The rest of the system is dry and clean. I am assuming this is the cause of the tuning errors, or at least needs to be fixed anyway before I can determine the true cause of the errors if they continue. Would you please advise the best way to drain and dry the radiator? I assume it involves removing the radiator from the motor unit and eventually re-sealing the end caps, bottom plate and bolts (will follow the install manual re silicone sealant, etc), but what else should I do to ensure the interior of the radiator is dry? Or would it be better to just drill some drain holes in the bottom of the radiator and avoid removing the radiator from the base (and thereby breaking the seal there)? Thanks.

We see a lot of bad installs where they fail to use the required sealant between the array and the gearbox. Water can and will get in there if not properly sealed. If it gets down into the main gear box then damage normally occurs and you should have the unit repaired. If caught early, it can normally be dried out and sealed properly.

Normally taking the array off and shaking out all the water, then leaving it try a week or two will work to dry the internals of the array. The opening where it normally fits to the gear box is big enough for it to vent. I don't see any advantage to drilling holes (that you will need to fill). After drying the gearbox and the array, inspect the array for any cracks or other possible areas of water intrusion and re-install and seal the array. It is hope for the best at that point. If the unit works it was caught early enough and should be okay, if not it would need to visit a dealer or the service center.

Thank you for both of your responses, Johnny, much appreciated. For what it's worth, I think this is more of an endcap issue than a joint seal issue (I will be fixing both). The array was painted flat black by the previous owner and must get very hot. The paint is flaking at the end caps. I'm guessing the rotor spins, water on the top surface is spun to the ends of the unit and creeps in at the end cap. This started happening during the recent rain spell on the US east coast when we were running the radar a lot. Thanks again.

Back