DRS4D VS DRS$DL

davepjr71

Furuno Fan
I'm a newby when it comes to radar. What are the benefits the 4D offers over 4DL? I know you need a power supply for the 4D with the TZT2.

I intend to use the radar with a TZTL12F and was told by a friend that I should go with the 4DL but want to learn more about the differences.

The DRS4D would require a radar power supply (PSU017) when being used with the TZT2 but the DRS4DL would not. The DRS4DL is lower cost on top of that so I can see why your friend recommended it. The DRS4D is 24" and the DRS4DL is 19". Kudos to you for asking what am I losing that I might want between the two. The DRS4D offers the following over the DRS4DL: 1. ARPA (30 target..also requires heading) 2. Variable speed motor (24-48rpm) 3. Furuno Canbus connection (for NMEA 2000 GPS or similar connection) 4. No duel range feature. With all that said most smaller boats 30 feet and under rarely need or use these features so the DRS4DL was developed to save costs for the smaller boater. Thanks for asking.

Would I still need a heading sensor for the 4DL to do overlay? If so, would any NMEA183 heading sensor work? OR go off a NMEA2000 backbone? Is the NMEA2000 backbone referred to as the power/lan cable?

Thank you. I read through the document and understand. I was getting confused between the terminology used on the radar installation for the cable. Understand now it's a NMEA2000 backbone system which I've installed before.

The radar cable itself is Ethernet (LAN) connection not NMEA 2000.
The DRS4D does offer a NMEA 2000 data connection inside the dome that will send the data to the display via LAN. The DRS4DL doesn't offer this connection.

Back