Waypoint Mark Error

A

Anonymous

I have a recently installed 1715 radar unit. It is working very well except for one problem. The GPS waypoint mark (bearing line and lollypop) consistently reads several degrees to the left (port) of the true course to the waypoint. Heading alignment has been done, and targets appear to be at the correct bearing. The unit is getting it's NMEA info from a Garmin chartplotter. What should I do to correct or adjust this feature? Thanks.

Sounds like it could be one device looking at true and another device magnetic.
Check the output sentence from your Garmin.

I have seen this in the past with many Garmin products. It has something to do with how they output the NMEA data. Mostly older Garmin products had this and there isn't anything you can really do. You can have the mark be correct or the heading numbers to be correct but not both.

This is a follow-up on my original post. Accurate waypoint bearing and range displayed on the radar display is very useful in Mexico, where the charts are not accurate. I recently installed a Furuno GP-32 Navigator and connected it to the 1715 radar. There was no change or improvement in the waypoint bearing error. The range is correct, but there is still a bearing deviation to port of about 10 degrees when the waypoint is distant. The bearing error increases as the waypoint is approached, but the range is correct. I have repeated the setup for both units, but no change. The GP-32 is working fine. Any suggestions?

I have seen the GP32 and the 1715 work perfectly for waypoint marks for many many years. I would recommend you have the NMEA output setting on the GP32 setup for "AP" and the 1715 setup for Magnetic. If you continue to have issues, I recommend you send the units in for evaluation.

Back