DRS4D NXT Longevity...

eheffa

Hi,

My new DRS4D NXT system is operating very well with my TZT2 15 MFD and TimeZero Navigator.

Even in good visibility daylight conditions, the Target Analyzer functions work very well and offers good information on other vessels around us; especially for non-AIS vessels.

I know that conventional analog magnetrons have a limited lifespan (these values can be found in the manuals for the analog units but not the Digital NXT units). It might be prudent to turn the radar off when not 'needed' for the analog units but what about the digital NXT versions? I would, quite honestly, prefer to have my radar always on when underway. Is there a significant downside to doing this? What is the expected lifespan of the NXT radome in hours?

With my unit, when the radar is running, when on deck, one can hear the unit spinning inside the radome. I assume this is normal but it is certainly more audible than my old Raymarine Analog radome which was virtually silent. Is this normal?

Thanks for any feedback.

-evan

The sound is higher because of the higher radar rotational speed. The DRS4DNXT can rotate up to 48 rpm (twice the speed as most radars). When it comes to electronics in general, it is the turning on and off process that provides the most wear due to the initial current surge. I would think letting it run wouldn't cause it to fail sooner than turning it on and off all the time. I would let it run.

Back