RC42 heading compass and RDP-149?

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
I have the Simrad AP24 with the RC42 heading compass on my N2K network.

I am upgrading my RDP-139 to a Back-Lit RDP-149 and plan to add the IF-NMEA2K2 Nmea 0183 To Nmea 2000 Converter to connect to my existing N2K (Garmin/Simrad) backbone. Can the RC42 serve as the heading sensor over N2K and enable overlay?

If yes, what additional features I might be able to get?

Having correct heading on the RDP149 will allow radar overlay if you have radar, APRA if you have an optional ARPA board and AD10 heading, and the ability to display heading in a data box. It also allows AIS to show up on the radar when it is properly installed.

Yes, you should be able to pull heading off your NMEA 2000 bus and feed it to the Vx2 using the IF-NMEA2k2. Doing this will allow the overlay and data box but not ARPA. If you need AD10 heading for ARPA to work on the Vx2.

Johnny,

I have the RSB-0071 radar dome on the boat but don't have the ARPA board. The boat is/was wired with AD10 but I have really struggled to understand what that is (has been a while since I researched too). Is there a good read somewhere that can help me better understand it?

If I understand your response correctly, and I do not have ARPA, I should get heading off the N2K bus and thus should have radar overlay and I should also have AIS on radar as well (AIS is on my N2K bus). Right?

AD10 is four wire binary heading that preceded NMEA 0183. If you don't have ARPA, then a second converter setup for 0813 heading from the NMEA 2000 bus should work fine for you.

Johnny, what is the source for the AD10 data? What do those four wires connect to?

Also, can you provide me the part number for the ARPA board? Is it as simple as opening up the plotter and installing it in an open slot?

The APRA board part number for the RDP149 is "ARP11". If you don't have a source of AD10, you will need one if you run ARPA on this unit. If the boat isn't metal; you might look at using the Furuno PG500 heading compass. It has an AD10 output. Some of the older Simrad pilots offered it but not anymore. AD10 is mostly only used with commercial products and is slowly going away.

Back