Lollipop Interface

Re: Lollipop Interface

Postby C-Bass » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Thank you for the additional information.

So currently the NavNet 1 is getting data on port 2 from the Simrad j300x. Do you know if there is a way to confirm whether or not the Simrad is passing the correct information. I took a moment to download the Simrad AP20 manual. I did a quick search for NMEA output. The only reference to NMEA output from the J300X is heading data. There is no indiation that the J300x is passing the correct data sentences to the NavNet. Based on what I read I don't think the Simrad AP20 computer (j300x) can output the NMEA sentences needed to the NavNet 1 for the waypoint lollipop. You may want to confirm with Simrad. So if that is the case I don't think you will be able to use the Simrad AP20 to supply the NavNet 1. It will likely have to come from the Garmin.
C-Bass

Postby Jlr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks again for the help. If that is the case, and I am not certain it is, I will then have to go directly to the Garmin. I have gone directly from these pilots to all my prior Furuno radars without a problem. My local electronics guy has told me to focus on port 3 on the Navnet not port 2. Something about AD10 data. But, forgetting that, if there is any way for you to let me know what wires from port two (green and yellow)? I should be connecting to the Garmin 5212 (what wire colors there), I could then finally make progress. Thanks for hanging in with me on this.
Jlr

Postby C-Bass » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 am

Good morning JLR,

Thank you for the followup. I know this has been aggravating for you but we will stick by your side until completion. Your dealer is correct, Port 3 on the Navnet is for heading data, when your dealer mentions AD10 data, that is a different form of heading data that is not NMEA0183, but is heading information.

Just so you can confirm I would check with Simrad to verify if what NMEA0183 data can output from the AP20 pilot. Again, I just did a quick reference check in the AP20 manual. But I am not an expert with their equipment. It would be good to check, so we can move forward.

If you want to try the interface with Garmin please see the photo below. Based on the information I found the Garmin has (2) NMEA0183 ports that can be used for input/output. Depending on what port is still available you could try:

Port 1 Garmin to Port 2 Furuno: Garmin Gray(Tx+) to Furuno Yellow(Rx+), and Garmin Pink (Tx-) to Furuno Green (Rx-).

If you want to try Port 2 Garmin to Port 2 Furuno: Garmin Blue(Tx+) to Furuno Yellow(Rx+), and Garmin Blue/White(Tx-) to Furuno Green(Rx-).

Garmin Interface.JPG

It appears you will also need to configure the Garmin NMEA0183 output sentence. Please see photo below.

Garmin 2.JPG
C-Bass

Postby Jlr » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 am

Exactly what I was looking for. I will give it a shot this weekend assuming I can find the end of the cable now plugged into Port 2. I will report back when I have tried this. Thank you again.
Jlr

Postby Jlr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 am

Success and more help needed. I rewired port two on the Navnet to the correct output port on the J300x and all is well. It had been wired to an output that also had other wires connected to the same output. Perhaps splitting the output was what messed it up. However, I need more help. When trying to tune the gain in any of the three auto modes, there is way too much gain. I can tune it just fine in the manual mode. I tried to boot up the Navnet by holding down the menu key on power up to make sure the unit had selected the correct antenna. I never did get into the installation menu. I also tried to set my ranges up but they stopped at 48nm. Not really a big deal but I thought the 1943C, which is what I am told I have, goes to 64. That makes me think that perhaps the wrong radar is selected in the installation menu. Not sure. In any event, is there some secret to being able to use the auto gain options. None of the three is usable now with way too much gain. Thanks.
Jlr

Postby C-Bass » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 am

Good to hear JLR, job well done!

Yes the 1943 radar should give you a range scale of 64nm. So if you are only able to get 48nm then I would verify that the unit is set to the correct radar antenna.

You mentioned the keystrokes you used to get into the radar installation mode. The procedure that you performed sounds correct. It has been my experience when performing the keystroke operation that you hold the once the power button is pushed try and hold the menu button down until the bootup procedure is finished. Then hit the menu button again and choose "system config," then "Installation Setup," then "Radar Installation." Then choose the Antenna Type: G.

Then you can exit out of the menu and transmit the radar. After the radar is transmitting go back into the radar installation menu and choose "Tuning." Turn this to on, and hit the enter button. The display should give the following prompt: "Now Tuning." Next choose the "Video Adjustment." Turn to on, then hit the enter button. You should see the following prompt: "Now Adjusting Video."

After that you may need to adjust the timing of the radar.

Try the auto modes again to see if you have an improvement.

It has been my experience with the NavNet 1 and VX2 models that the "Auto Gain" filters do not do the radar performance any justice. When instructing individuals using this radar I always recommend using manual Gain, Sea Clutter, and Rain Clutter. I know that is probably not what you want to hear but you will get much better performance from the radar in manual mode.

C-Bass
C-Bass

Postby Jlr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks. I will check for the correct antenna. Again, I press and hold menu and continue to hold it after I press the power key. Is that correct? I tried that and it did not seem to work although I must admit I let go of the menu key after about one minute. No problem just using manual but I thought I would ask anyway.
Jlr

Postby Jlr » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 am

Now that this is squared away, is there a way to alter the shading for various depths in the C-Map chart I just bought for the unit. I am not really happy with the coloring nor am I happy with the size of the depth readings. Is there a way to customize the colors and text sizes? Thanks.
Jlr

Postby C-Bass » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Good evening JLR,

Thank you for your follow up. You can reference the user manual section 5-15 for setting up the depth colors. I will provide a link below to download the operators manual. The text size for the spot soundings as far as I know cannot be enlarged. Please keep in mind the NavNet 1 series was designed in the early 2000's like 2001/2002. The was not a lot of capability back then to customize features.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass
C-Bass

Postby Jlr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks. Awaiting the link.
Jlr

PreviousNext

Return to NavNet vx2 & NavNet 1