Navnet Vx2 and AIS Compatibility

Navnet Vx2 and AIS Compatibility

Postby Andrewdegraaf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 am

Dear Sir,

I have a RDP149 vx2 and I bought the Navnet furuno ethernet cable. Will a nmea ethernetconvertor send suitable ais data over the internet or does thus device only accept the data from the Furuno ethernet ais?

My convertor is a multiplexer. Will the vx2 read all data send over the network?

Other data is wind depth etc.

My ais device is a Garmin.

Thanks.
Andrewdegraaf

Re: Navnet Vx2 and AIS Compatibility

Postby C-Bass » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am

Good morning Andrewdegraaf,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I personally do not know the answer to your question. Do you have a particular model number and manufacturer of the NMEA0183 to Ethernet Converter and Multiplexer?

I guess the questions does the Garmin AIS unit output AIS data in NMEA0183 format?

If it does there is a chance you will not need to have this type of Ethernet converter, you may only need to purchase an interface cable?
C-Bass

Postby Andrewdegraaf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Thanks for your reply,

Do you have a particular model number and manufacturer of the NMEA0183 to Ethernet Converter and Multiplexer?
It is a product from shipmodul. No need to investigate the device itselves. It generates NMEA to ethernet. Anyway, this is the device:
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/index.html

I guess the questions does the Garmin AIS unit output AIS data in NMEA0183 format?
Yes the Garmin does have NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 but the multiplexer will do the trick if I will be able to use the ethernet solution.

If it does there is a chance you will not need to have this type of Ethernet converter, you may only need to purchase an interface cable?
Okay and this is the cable you are reffering to?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FUR-00014446 ... e/49335315
Andrewdegraaf

Postby C-Bass » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Good morning Andrewdegraaf,

Thank you for your feedback. After further research the ShipModul MiniPlex-3 multiplexer is a converter for Raymarine's proprietary SeaTalk network. It is used to multiplex NMEA0183 or N2K to SeaTalk for Raymarine SeaTalk compatible equipment. I am afraid this product is not compatible with the Furuno RDP149.

After further research the RDP149 can only use Furuno AIS sensors for Ethernet connection. So if you want to interface to your Garmin AIS it will need to be by a NMEA0183 and it will have to be wired into Port 2 which is a 6 pin port. The interface cable for port 2 would be a 6-pin to bare wire. Furuno Part Number: 000-154-054

Kind Regards,
C-Bass
C-Bass

Return to NavNet vx2 & NavNet 1