Navnet Vx2 and AIS Compatibility

A

Andrewdegraaf

Dear Sir,

I have a RDP149 vx2 and I bought the Navnet furuno ethernet cable. Will a nmea ethernetconvertor send suitable ais data over the internet or does thus device only accept the data from the Furuno ethernet ais?

My convertor is a multiplexer. Will the vx2 read all data send over the network?

Other data is wind depth etc.

My ais device is a Garmin.

Thanks.

Good morning Andrewdegraaf,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I personally do not know the answer to your question. Do you have a particular model number and manufacturer of the NMEA0183 to Ethernet Converter and Multiplexer?

I guess the questions does the Garmin AIS unit output AIS data in NMEA0183 format?

If it does there is a chance you will not need to have this type of Ethernet converter, you may only need to purchase an interface cable?

Thanks for your reply,

Do you have a particular model number and manufacturer of the NMEA0183 to Ethernet Converter and Multiplexer?
It is a product from shipmodul. No need to investigate the device itselves. It generates NMEA to ethernet. Anyway, this is the device:
http://www.shipmodul.com/en/index.html

I guess the questions does the Garmin AIS unit output AIS data in NMEA0183 format?
Yes the Garmin does have NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 but the multiplexer will do the trick if I will be able to use the ethernet solution.

If it does there is a chance you will not need to have this type of Ethernet converter, you may only need to purchase an interface cable?
Okay and this is the cable you are reffering to?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/FUR-00014446 ... e/49335315

Good morning Andrewdegraaf,

Thank you for your feedback. After further research the ShipModul MiniPlex-3 multiplexer is a converter for Raymarine's proprietary SeaTalk network. It is used to multiplex NMEA0183 or N2K to SeaTalk for Raymarine SeaTalk compatible equipment. I am afraid this product is not compatible with the Furuno RDP149.

After further research the RDP149 can only use Furuno AIS sensors for Ethernet connection. So if you want to interface to your Garmin AIS it will need to be by a NMEA0183 and it will have to be wired into Port 2 which is a 6 pin port. The interface cable for port 2 would be a 6-pin to bare wire. Furuno Part Number: 000-154-054

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

New user here so if posting in wrong area I’m sorry .
I have a furuno rdp 149. I want ais , I’m looking at the class A due to some older ships not having updates ais to be able to see class b ais .
My question , with the rdp149 what equipment do I need to see and be seen with ais . I am more confused then when I started looking ! Once it’s ibstslled , is there a fee to be connected ?
I just switched over from Raymarine to furuno , with Raymarine when adding something , I would be told I need this , id get that , then was told you need this etc taking weeks to get one thing done , so hoping furuno support is a little better .
Thanks in advance for any help you can give !
Thank you
Billy
Carolina Beach NC

Billy the old thread you jumped on wasn't a typical connection question and would confuse most people. Basically if you have a Vx2 that has been properly updated, it will receive and process AIS via either 0183 on the proper port or via Furuno Ethernet from a Furuno Receiver like the FA30, FA50, FA150, or FA170.

The first question would be are you connecting AIS to a 7" Vx2 or a 10.4"? 0183 AIS (ONLY) data would be wired to data 1 of a 7" or data 2 of a 10.4" because these are the ONLY ports that process AIS via 0183 for the Vx2. What AIS unit are you trying to use? Keep in mind there are some really cheap AIS units that don't provide the required RS422 level NMEA 0183. Some try to send via RS232 (PC level NMEA) and that would require a bit more interfacing.

I really appreciate your response!
I have the rdp149 the screen is 8 1/4 wide and 6 1/4 y’all .on the back it has 4 data ports and 1 network port . I saved your response by snap shot on phone . I’m clueless to ais so the unit numbers you gave me are a big help . Being retired I am in a budget but think I need to get something that will work as it may very well save my life one day , being I am a single handed sailor .
Your message did give me hope in seeing that this is a possibility.i guess mine is the 7” model rdp149 .right now that’s what I’m trying to figure out as to what ais will work with this system and go from there .
I have read that some older class A ais can’t see class B and was looking at class A ais but I’ve got a feeling the pricing is going to send me in the direction of a class B ais system .
Thanks again for your response , has helped me out a lot !
Thank you
Billy

The 10.4" (RPD149) will have a trackball at the top right. The 7" (RDP148) will have an arrow pad at the top right.

Thanks again
It does have the track ball up in top right hand corner .
I’m learning slowly but surely!
Thank you
Billy

Back