Navnet vx2 radar Image turning

M

Martin Legault

Hello, I recently bought a 40' sailboat that is equipped with Navnet vx2 (GD-1920c) 10,4 monitor, 1824c radome, Linked with GPS32, heading sensor PG 500 and AIS.
Here are the two problems I have with the radar; as the radar is in warming period and also when it begins the transmition it emits an alarm and a red icon appears at the top left of the screen. I have to push on clear to stop the sound but I am not able to erase the icon. This occur Each Time I start the radar. I checked on alarm menu and all Look like setted off, Is it normal?
my other problem is that whenever I start the radar, the heading line is never in the right place. often 90 offset and even 180. I succeeded only once to adjust the heading Line in programation mode, but everything has to be restarted when I restart a second time. moreover since two week, the image rotates with the radar of three degrees at each rotation and it is impossible to adjust the heading. The fonction "set " on progamation have no Effect. I remade twice the programming by making sure to have the right choice of antenna 1824c (A) nothing works. I opened the radome and everything seems in good condition.
apart those problemes, everything work well, the image is good, all the radar fonction work well... can you help me?

Martin, Quebec, Canada

Good morning Martin,

Thank you for your inquiry. When the radar is alarming and you push the alarm button on the display, what alarm is being triggered? Does it tell you what alarm is active in the alarm menu?

When looking at the heading number on the radar display, upper right corner, what value does it give compared to your COG? We need to try and figure out the difference in the heading vs. COG. Typically when commissioning a magnetic flux gate compass like the PG500R we try to see similar values within 5 degrees of the COG at major compass rose points like North, South, East, and West. Next time you are on the vessel underway please take a look at the COG and heading values and report back. We understand that certain situations will increase this difference like major cross currents when the vessel is crabbing. Do your best to try and find a neutral environmental factors to satisfy this test, it will help give us an idea of what is happening.

My guess is we will probably need to identify where the compass is mounted and the mounting orientation. We may need to re-calibrate the compass. But first try the test above and report back. Any information on the mounting location and orientation of the compass would also be helpful.

Kind Regards,

Hello M Bass,

I was at my sailboat yesterday and check the things you suggested...

When the alarm start in the first moment of the Time were the radar start to transmit, I goes to the alarm menu and all look like closed. I dont know were to check more to erase the red icone in the uppert left corner indicate that were in alarm mode...

But my biggest probleme still that the target (image) in the screen turn about 3 degree at each turn of the antena make a turn. The COG of the boat on the water dont move but in the screen it is exactly like I was making a 360 on my mine. It is impossible to navigate in this condition!!!

The heading compass give exactly the good COG. The number in degree show in the upper radar screen is exactly the same as I find in the boat magnetic compass and also the GPS (one not linked with the radar). The headind compass is located in a midship without any steel elements around that can make disturb. Also, in the chartplotter mode, the north is in the good place and everything work well.

I also try to disconect all the data cable in back of the video monitor (heading,GPS,ASI) to use the radar only alone, and the probleme of target turning still occur.

Thanks for your support,

Best regards,

Martin

Good morning Martin,

Thank you for your information. It sounds like you have more than a couple of things wrong with the radar. I think it is more than this forum can diagnose with the limited information that we have. Where are you located? I think it would be best to speak with your local Furuno shop to get a technician on the boat for further diagnostics.

Please let us know if we can be of further help, but we need to get a technician aboard.

C-Bass

Hello M Bass,

In a latest post Johnny Electron was talking about bending a bracket to move a litle bit closer a sensor just under the rotor inside the radome. Inside the radome of my radar, this sensor is black, about one inch long by 1/4'' with a sheild cable going inside the base...

The member answer to Johnny that this solution fix the problem and everything look good after...

Do you think that I can do the same thing ? And if it is the solution, how many closer I must move the sensor...?

There are no furuno dealer in a area of 300 km around my sailboat, and anythings that I can do by myself will be my first option...!

Best regards,

Martin

Good morning Martin,

I do not feel that the solution that Johnny provided will be the answer to the issues on your vessel. We need to figure out what the alarm code is? Can you take a photo of the alarm icon and post it to this forum. Until we can figure out what is going on i don't want to start moving components that good further hurt the radar.

Hello M Bass,

Can you tell me how to joint a photo in my reply. The picture is in my iPad, I try to use the copy fonction but he dont want to fix it in this Window...???

Thanks,

Martin

IMG_0086.JPGIMG_0085.JPGIMG_0082.JPG

Hello Mister Bass,

You'll find three picture of my radar.
First is before starting TX. No sound of alarm and all those are off.
Second, is the picture boat at the dock, and third is after two turn of radar, boat always at the dock. Note that when I sarted TX the noise of the alarm sound. I hard to push clear to stop it...

Thanks for your comments,

Best regards,

Martin

When the alarm sounds, and you hit clear to silence it; Please hit the Alarm button to read what the alarm is/says.

Hello Johnny,

I did what you says and a window open in the screen with this "No heading pulse detected".

Does this message can Help you to find the problem ?

Thanks for your support,

Best regards,

Martin

That error indicates the HD pulse from your scanner is not making it to the display or the display isn't processing it. Based on your description/photos of the issue, it would appear you HD relay/switch (p/n 000-118-533 $35 list) in the scanner is intermittent and most likely needs replacement.

Great!
Thank you very much Johnny for your support.
I will change the part as you recommended...

Best regards,

Martin

Hello Johnny, last september you suggest me to change the HD relay switch. So, I byed a new switch to the Furuno dealer and change it into the radome. I also taked time to check every cable connect in the radome (main cable comming from the display) to be certain there was no rust. I restart the radar and find the same alarm alert and the same probleme of the image in the video that turn at each passage of the radar turn... Does I have to do something in the radar program or reset the radar ? Waiting for your help before going futher... thank you, best regards! ML

If you have already tried the switch and checked the cable then it sounds like your SPU board in the display might have a problem. It should be sent in for repair evaluation.

Back