I

H

Hyndsight

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a navnet vx2 rdp149 from a Craigslist posting. It comes with the 0094 18" antenna and a gps antenna, advertised as "previously installed but never used". Question is, A: how long can I excpect software updates/support for? Is 10 years too optimistic for a unit that's already obsolete? B: what is a reasnoble price for this package? C: good enough unit to justify buying an obsolete unit?

Thanks, Tim

Hyndsight-

There will probably not be anymore software updates for the NavNet vx2. However, we will continue to support a discontinued product for as long as components are available at reasonable costs.

The vx2 was available as either a C-Map version or Navionics. C-Map still produces updated charts, but not Navionics. If the version you are looking at is Navionics I would suggest having it converted to C-Map.

I am curious though about a unit that was installed but never used. Coming off of Craig's List it sounds a bit unusual. The list price for the system you are looking at was $4895. Only you can decide what it is worth to you. If it works, and uses C-Map cartography it is certainly not obsolete.

Thanks Melville.
This is a c-map version. Apparently installed when the boat was decommisioned, then the boat sold and the new owner didn't want it included in the sale because of the size? Price is about 1/4 of list...
I know there are no crystal balls, but is 10 years of life unreasonable? This would be replacing a 16 mile furunl that's been in service for 22 years...

10 years is not unreasonable for Furuno equipment. It might require an update to the current software which can be found online.

So I did end up with the unit. Turns out its history was a little less clear as it I was actually buying from the second owner. He reduced the price a little more and threw in a map chip to sweeten the deal though...

I've used it as a chart plotter a few times now, (haven't had a chance to swap out the scanner yet). First observation is the track ball is real glitchy and needs replacing. Is this a relatively easy diy job? (I consider myself pretty handy and have replaced many internal laptop/smartphone components in the past). What's a reliable scource? I see them in numerous places online...

My other observation is that the plotter seems slow, in that panning and zooming takes longer than it should. Could this be related to the map card, or software? I'm unsure what software this is running but my assumption is that it isn't the newest available (4.3?) as it was reported to have been sitting unused for a few years.

Thanks, Tim

Since the unit needs to come apart; we normally recommend a dealer replace the trackball assembly. The installation manual shows how to take the unit apart to install the optional accessories like the ARPA board so if you want to dive in, it is up to you. Be very careful of the small ribbon cables. If you break the cable hold down it might be a very expensive self project.

C-map 4.03 is the newest software. Don't confuse the boot loader version with the software version. It is always best to provide the full program number. A chart not suitable or old software will make the unit run slow or lock up. A C-map MAX chip is used but is shouldn't be one of the new MEGAWIDE areas like the entire USA because it is too much data. It should be something like the East Coast or West coast. If you can provide the information written on the top of the chart card, I could be more helpful.