Connecting to smart pilot x30

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I am trying to connect my navnet vx2 to my smart pilot x30 (raymarine)
From data 2, I have selected most of the sentences, because I also want wind information in my autopilot.
AAM,APB,BOD,BWR,GGA,GLL,GTD,MTW,RMA,RMB,RMC,VHW,VTG,XTE,ZDA,HDT,HDG,MWV
I set the output to nmea0183. Ver 2.0. 38400bps. Output destination:yes
I connected the white cable from data2 to nmeain + in the smart pilot box
And black cable from data2 to nmeain - in smart pilot box.
I have gps data in my navnet
I set a 'go to waypoint' in the navnet and check the pilot. It says 'no navigation data'
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

I think there have been several posts about this ray pilot not accepting NMEA from many manufacturers. I believe you will need a NMEA 0183 to Seatalk converter to get it working correctly. Raymarine would be the best to ask. The core problem I believe is that the NMEA port on the autopilot is at PC level NMEA (RS232) and not the established RS422 standard. Their converter normally will allow it to work, if I remember correctly. Raymarine support should point you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot for your response.
I have as well an AIS (Yacht digital AIT1000) as part of my system.
Which port should I use as an input for the Navnet vx2 (10.4 version)
How should I set the port?
Thank you in advance.

You first want to ensure your Vx2 software is up to date.

AIS can only be processed by the Vx2 10.4" on data port 2 using 0183 data or via the Furuno Network by a suitable Furuno AIS. You would connect to the input wires (yellow [+] Green [-]) on data 2 using a suitable RS422 NMEA 0183 AIS source at a baud rate of 38400. Once using the port for AIS input, that is all that port can be used for, you can not use the output of data 2. It become an AIS only port.

So, the big picture is like this
I HAVE:

- Furuno NavNet vx2. 10.4 inches. Connected to a radar, windgear, paddlewheel, gps, compass PG700. Can output (and get as input) NMEA 0183 or 2000
I will need AIS as an input and GPS and wind data as an output.

Autopilot : Raymarine (SmartPilot X30) with its own compass fluxgate. P70 autopilot control head. Not connected to anything else in the system
Input: NMEA 0183. I don't think I need output.
Can I set as input GPS, wind and Heading? If heading is not possible, I can leave both compasses.
AIS: Digital Yacht (AIT1000). Own GPS antenna. DIGITAL YACHT SPL250 AIS Transponder Antenna Splitter . NMEA output (38,400 baud)
Sailor VHF Radio

I want to connect them.
Here is what I want to achieve:
to have the data in an android tablet (or IPAD if much easier) I prefer xperia, which is waterproof, but I read is much more difficult to find an APP fro android. AIS, GPS, Wind, Compass Paddlewheel.
to have wind data and GPS data in the autopilot (set a waypoint and make the autopilot follow or set wind autopilot).
To get the data from AIS to the chart-plotter.
to have GPS data to the VHF
Get rid of the redundant compass and the redundant GPS, if possible. (gps to AIS, furuno compass to autopilot)

After reading a bit, I think that what I need is a multiplexer.
I own already a router, and it is installed in my boat.
Do you think I can solve my problem with a Brookhouse eMux?

I note that your AIS is RS232 unit designed to go to a PC and not marine RS422 NMEA. You will need an interface to resolve that. The Vx2 is an older system and offers no wifi options for your tablet. Maybe someone has a good suggestion for an interface that you might use. As far as multiplexers, I have heard good things about Brookhouse as well and many others like Blackbox, Noland Engineering, and Actisense.

I am considering connecting the can bus to the computer with an actisense converter. Link bellow.
And connect that to a pc with opencpn. The AIS would go as well with the usb to the pc. And from there, the output to the spx30 autopilot.
Do you think that would work, or I am missing something else?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZ ... NDWIGEAQV0

I will post it soon, but the first thing I have to decide is if I get rid of the radar
( I dont have any plan to integrate it if there is any)
Besides, it is not working well.
No matter where I am, I get the same radar plot.

I have an example. Yesterday, in the marina, I zoomed out and in, and I got the same echos.

Does that mean my radome is broken?radar6nm.jpg

radar1nm.jpg

Oh, my god!
If you guys have a competition for the most stupid question in the forum, I must be in the top 5!
Ok, now that I know that my Radar is working, I dont want to get rid of the NavNet.
Anyway, I want to find a way to set waypoints and see the AIS information in the cockpit. I would prefer a tablet to be able to move it from one place to the other. We have a catamaran with 2 wheels, so from wheel to wheel to start with.
First step has to be get the gps data to the autopilot, though.
Thank you for your help.

OK, that was solved, and believe me, I felt really stupid.
So, now, let's see my next issues...
I have a fi5002, a navnet vx2 and a fg5000 compass.
I have wind,depth and paddlewheel data in the displays, but not in the navnet
I don't have compass data in the navnet either
How are they meant to be connected?
I don't have the cleanest installation,it was a charter boat.

On the back of the navnet, I have data1 connected to a GPS/waas gp-32. Working fine and sending to navnet
On data2, I have it connected to my raymarine smartphone. Not working. Does not seam to get the go to waypoint if I set it won the navnet

Data3. I don't know yet where it is connected to.
On the display, though, only data1, data2 and data4 seam to be able to be set as nmea

So, first of all, how should fi5002 send data to navnet?
Thx

DSC_0545.JPG
Update:
This is how my Junction box is wired

One of the wires from the box is to a nmea converter

DSC_0537.JPG

And that is not connected anywhere
DSC_0547.JPG

The FI5002 is a NMEA 2000 communication product and the NavNet and the pilot are NMEA 0183. You have one converter yet a ton of things into the NMEA 2000 junction box (FI5002). I have no idea how to even begin to help you. I recommend you make a plan on paper or contact a dealer for help.

Back