icom 506 position does not update

A

Anonymous

I just installed an icom 506, connecting both NMEA0183 output and input leads to my RDP-149. On initial power up I get good position data to the radio from the Navnet but it does not update any data to the radio after that. Any ideas?

What port are you using to connect the radio to the RDP-149?
Also what NMEA sentences do you have turned on to output through that port?

I believe port number 2, sentences I need to check. I assume NMEA sentences GLL and GGA need to be on? Going to the boat today to check this out. Thanks

It is actually connected to port 4, the GGA, GLL, GTD, RMB, RMC, and ZDA NMEA sentences are on. It initially showed good data but after about 2 minutes alternates to question marks.

It sounds like you may possibly have a data loop issue.
If you are only sending GPS data to the radio, then there really isn't any need to connect both input and output NMEA connections (this can cause data loop issues due to the VX2 sending data, then the radio receives that data but also spits it right back to the VX2 and then the VX2 sending the same regurgitated data to the radio thus causing a cascading data loop which can cause all sorts of issues) :shock:

That being said, all that needs to be connected is NMEA 0183 transmit connections from the VX2, connected to NMEA 0183 receive connections on the VHF Radio.

The sentences that you already have turned on are good to go and you shouldn't need to change anything there.
The VHF radio should not be connected to the input NMEA 0183 connections on the VX2.
If you are still having the same issue after that then please let us know what color wires you are connecting together from data port 4 to the radio.

Thanks for the reply. My tech savvy wife turned on all the gps related sentences on the "network port" to on and now the thing is working fine! Seems strange to me since the radio is only connected to the chartplotter thru port 4, but it works so I am happy. I connected the radio NMEA output wires to the chartplotter thinking it has the capability to display position of incoming radio calls on the chartplotter, or am I wrong on that? Thanks again for the help with this

Final resolution, so the issue of updating returned. As DB suggested, the input data to the VX-2 was disconnected and position update to the radio is fine. Thanks DB with the help.

Back