vx1 to vx2 upgrade

A

Anonymous

hi folks
I have upgraded from navnet vx1 10.4 rdp139 and 4kw dome with 15m cable.
to a vx2 rdp148 and 4kw open array.
is it possible to connect the existing 15 meter cable to the array,
that's already in place for the radome
or is the cable for the open array different?

I would like to not have to run the new cable fro the array
thanks in adavce
mickyd

Good morning MickyD,

It would be best to replace the cable. The Vx1 10.4" used a signal cable that has 3 separate terminations: 9 pin connector to J801, 4 pin connector to J802, and a 13 pin connector to J611. The 4kw open array needs another separate termination which is a 2 pin connector to J822. The existing cable that you are using does not have this last termination point.

Please also keep in mind the back of the Vx1 10.4 inch unit uses a circular connector for the radar signal cable. The RDP148 uses a square connector for the radar signal cable.

Please also keep in mind the RDP148 which is a 7" display was never designed to run an open array directly? Did you purchase this combination together as a pair? This gets a little confusing so I will do my best to explain. The 7" Vx1 display for a brief period was sold to work with a 4kw open array, the gearbox and transceiver number for that radar was RSB0070-65. That 4kw open array uses different processing than a 4kw open array made for a 10.4" display. The 7" displays need a radar that supports linear processing where the 10.4" displays need a radar that uses logarithmic processing.

The 7" display with the right 4kw open array will also have a range limitation to 36nm.

If you could please verify the gearbox and transceiver number on the 4kw open array we would be able to tell you if it is a linear or logarithmic radar?

Best Regards,
C-Bass

first off let me thank you for your lengthy detailed reply.
now please accept my apology,i have given you some misinformation

i am upgrading from a vx1 rdp 139 with 4kw dome
to a vx2 rdp 149 with 4kw open array rsb 0070

i was hoping to swap the display and the radar tranceiver and keep the radar cable already in situ in order to save me from ripping the boat apart .

again sorry for the bad information
regards
mick

Good morning MickyD,

Thank you for the additional details. After further review you may be able to use the existing radar cable but it will take some modifications to the cable to make it work. As I mentioned in the previous post the open array requires an additional 2 wires that will terminate on J822 in the open array. If you look at the cable that is currently installed on your vessel those two wires cannot be seen. You will need to remove some of the heat-shrink of the cable to expose two additional wires, Orange and Green. Those two wires have been trimmed back and also heat-shrinked because they are not needed with a radome installation. However, if you pull back the heat-shrink you should find the two wires. You will need to lengthen those wires and re-terminate into a 2pin NH connector. Once that is done you can plug into J822.

The Green wire will go to PIn 1 on J822 and the Orange wire will go to Pin 2 on J822.

If you need help sourcing the 2 Pin NH connector please give our tech support line a call and they will be able to find you the part number. The part can be ordered from an Authorized Furuno Dealer.

Radar Cable.JPG

thanks very much guys
furuno technical support is amazing.
some rival manafacturers fail to stand over 2yr old equipment due to "obsolescence"
and furuno continues to provide support for 7 to 8 yr old equipment.
#furuno for life
theres a reason why people who earn a living at sea insist on furuno
regards
mick

Back