How to send GPS data from VX2 to VHF radio?

A

Anonymous

I have an ICOM IC-M402S DSC VHF radio with a NavNet vx2 Furuno RDP-149 (4323-2575) chartplotter. I would like to input NMEA GPS position data to my DSC radio, which is NMEA 0183 compatible. I have identified the coaxial connecting wire on the radio. I need to connect the NMEA(+) input to the center lead of that coaxial wire and the NMEA(-) to the cover lead. However I don't know how to identify which pins on the back of the chartplotter are capable of outputting NMEA(+) and NMEA(-). Presently data ports 1, 2, and 4 are already connected by Furuno cables to other devices, and data port 3 is capped off and presumably available for use. The Furuno cable attached to Data port 2 is connected to a busbar by its internal heavy black and thin yellow wires, and all other internal wires from that Furuno cable are hanging free and disconnected. So, ideally I would like to make the connection to the cable on data port 2 at the busbar, or if necessary I could buy another cable and try to use data port 3. How are the pins at the data ports on the back of the chartplotter numbered?

This forum has many postings on the subject. Data 3 is the heading port and can ONLY be used to input heading data into the unit. Your unit seem fully occupied, so you would need to see exactly what is attached to the WHITE (+) and BLACK (-) output wires of data port 2 to see if the unit might support another listener. If not, then you would need to look into a NMEA expander to expand on of your outputs.

Can the vhf radio be tied to the Furuno VX2 router's ? I would like to split up my systems port and starboard . two below and two about. So I would add another two routers.

However it would be nice if I could tie my VHF to the router. Then the VHF AIS, PA, Fog Horn etc could be shared?

If yes which two wires from the router Ethernet cord must I connects the ais and pa etc to. or do I just use the normal pattern and the router and equipment will sort out the signal

You can't use a router with the Vx2. The Vx2 uses either a Network HUB or Network Switch. There is no Furuno network radio sold or available. It is not possible to connect a VHF up to the Furuno Network.

Back