1944 radar problem

I have a vx1 1944 I recently installed second hand. Every time I transmit the array the picture is in a different location. So in other words, I hit tx and the dock is showing behind the boat. I'll press stand by then to again and the dock will be on the side or anywhere else on the screen.

I went and borrowed another screen from a friend and it seems to be doing the same thing.

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks.

It sounds like the radar scanner has a problem with a relative inexpensive part called the reed relay. The antenna switches it once for every rotation. Since it is constantly switching, older radar scanners tend to see them wear out. If it isn't that, then it is most likely the motor that puts out the bearing pulses which clocks your radar sweep around. You might contact tech support from the boat to do a bit of troubleshooting but it might get to the point you need a dealer to look at it.

Thank you for the quick response. I had called tech support yesterday before I realized this part of my issue. Originally I was not able to adjust the heading. I would move the dotted line and hit set and nothing would happen. They tried there best to try everything to help me but in the end said I needed to send the head unit in for bench test. It wasn't until I got back in with the boat that I realized it was doing the other thing. Could these 2 issues be associated with eachother?

Yes they can be associated. It was very smart to try another display because it could also cause the same issue. With you eliminating the display as a possible player, it is highly likely it is the heading pulse (reed relay) or the motor (bearing pulse) causing your problems. The reed relay is relatively low cost and easy to replace so I would try that before even calling a dealer out.

Do you happen to know the part number for the reed relay? I did a little searching online and it seems easy enough to change out. I just want to get the right part.

Back