Navnet Radar 1722 Screen Damage

A

Anonymous

I have a 2005 model Navnet / Radar 1722 screen that is damaged with what appears to be a large cloud or spot over most of the display. It seems to be on the inside of the display, there is no visible damage to the exterior screen. I can't tell if it is from moisture or perhaps overheating... any thoughts?

Can this be repaired? If so, does it go back to Furuno or a local shop? If it can't be fixed can the Radome (RSB-0071 type) be re-used on a newer model display?

Thanks in advance!

The 7" radar scanner you have now could be used on a newer Vx2 7" display but that is about your only upgrade option. You will find that 7" Vx2 very hard to find on the used market. The exiting display can be rebuilt at some dealers or our service center.

For factory our service, send the unit to the Furuno Repair Facility with a detailed description of the problem. No RMA number or initial payment is required. Please make sure to include your contact information. The address is listed below for your convenience.

Furuno USA, Inc
Attn: Service Department
4400 NW Pacific Rim Blvd.
Camas, WA 98607-9408

The Service Center will contact you concerning cost and billing after the unit has been evaluated.
The Service Center has a $100 evaluation fee for out of warrantee items, but they will apply that towards the repair cost, if you choose to have it repaired. Repair time can vary depending on work load and season. Mostly 7-10 business days plus postal time. If you need to contact our service center they can be reached at 360-834-9300. (ask for the service center)

Received the repaired unit from Furuno yesterday. New screen looks great. Radar functions as expected but now the GPS function is not working.

I did some troubleshooting and it is not communicating with the GPS antenna. Is there any way to determine if the connection on the back of the unit or the antenna itself is the problem? The antenna was plugged into the "network" port prior to the repair. I tried to plug the the gps into data port 1 and followed the set up in the manual, but that did not work either.

Any ideas on further troubleshooting?

Update - i just pulled the boat out from under the shed and the radar doesn't seem to be returning any real data. Two little blobs - should be surrounded by trees with an opening.. it spins... but seems like something is off on the unit. Thoughts?

The GPS antenna has 7 pins. Network port has 6 pins, so not sure how it was connected but you might want to check for damage. The normal GPS antenna would go to data port 1 (not data 3 which also has 7 pins) Then ensure the position source (under Nav Options) is set to Furuno BBWGPS. Lastly under ports, ensure that data port one has FURUNO SENSOR = YES. If the antenna has clear view of the sky it should work.
The radar is most likely user setup settings also. The installation manual (not operators manual) cover this. If you can call into tech support from the boat, they can normally help you.

Thanks for the advice. Got the GPS issue corrected - my lack of attention was the main problem. Went thru the set up per the installation manual and the GPS is as good as new. I believe the radar just needs tuning / tweaking. Impossible to tell in the yard with all the trees around. It is possible that the system is off by 180 degrees looking at what i can see clearly. I'll get it in the water and get that figured out asap.
Thanks again!!! :D :furuno

Back