FA-50 AIS

Mickeyrouse

I have been using my AIS with my 1724 Navnet vx2 system for about 4 years. Coming home from a 3 week cruise, the AIS stopped transmitting info about own ship, though it was receiving copious static and dynamic data regarding numerous ships and tugs in the area. Receiving range is as configured. What can I do about this?

It sounds like the connected GPA017 antenna has a problem. If the unit loses this GPS data it will continue to receive but not transmit because it is now lacking the required lat/lon info in which it needs to transmit. I recommend removing the antenna from the unit and using an OHM meter to test between the center pin and the outer connector. What value do you read?

560 ohm is normal for a good antenna from 2014 and newer unit. Prior to that it was about 270 ohms. How about your silent mode wires. Are they touching or to a switch which has been turned on? The unit is designed not to transmit in silent mode. Also have you verified your boat name and MMSI are still input? The unit won't transmit without those being properly filled out.

Back