Update

A

Anonymous

Ok now I am trying to help a friend update both his 10 in vx2 units. One is newer c map unit and i found the software and took care of it but the older unit is a navionics unit rdp-149 4323-2697....I think it is original software 1.03? We would like to make it a c-map unit. Is that possible and what do i need to do?

Thanks,
Jim

Units that are older than 1.06 need to be returned to the service center for update because they also have a hardware update required.

Send the unit to:

Furuno USA, Inc
Attn: Service Department
4400 NW Pacific Rim Blvd.
Camas, WA 98607-9408

include the unit and your request, along with your contact info. They will contact you about billing once the unit has been evaluated.

Ok i Think we will leave the older unit be. Can we still have ais on the updated unit?

Johnny..couple questions for ya ..1) sorry maybe you misread.. was asking if we can feed ais to the updated unit?... anyway I tried it by using a network cable to port 2and hooking yellow and green wire to ais data output ais unit... needless to say I could see data showing up on the port monitor but no ais on the screen..could it be because I used a network cable or are all the cables the same? I had everthing turned on ..idk

2)I tried to feed heading data from a simrad ap11 to port 3 and it showed up for a few minuets but it was off by 40 degree than went off and never came back... tried it on both units..is simrad nmea different than nmea? Any suggestions?

3)next thing was I tried to feed the simrad ap11 nmea data by unhooking ais to port 2 and connecting black and white wire to nmea in on simrad...it would not show it was reading the data..it has a led flickering when it receives data. And no flashing.. I tried both vx2units the one is updated and the other is not... than I looped it on the simrad to test the simrad and it was functioning..so not sure what to think..

4)the unit that we want to update to c map is actually at 1.06 navionics ...will we still need to send to furuno to update and make it read c map? Or can we do it?

Thanks again sorry to hit with all the questions but the boat is three hours away and I need to get much info as I can each time I go....

If the software is up to date, the Vx2 10.4" will process and show AIS on the plotter screen when input via port 2. To show AIS on the radar you also need heading connected. When you use data 2 for AIS data, it becomes an AIS ONLY input port. You can't use the output of data 2. The color code of network cable are not the same as NMEA cables. Also network cables are crossover cables, so depending on which end you use, the code can be totally different. It is best to use a multi-meter and ensure you are using the colors going to Pin 3 (+) and Pin 4 (-). The port baud rate should be setup in the settings for 38,400 baud rate. Using the NMEA port monitor in the Vx2 you should see the AIS sentences. They will start out something like this !AIVDO or !AIVDM.

I tried to feed heading data from a simrad ap11 to port 3 and it showed up for a few minuets but it was off by 40 degree than went off and never came back... tried it on both units..is simrad nmea different than nmea? Any suggestions?
If using NMEA heading, it should connect up to the White (+) Pin 1 and Black (-) Pin 2. It sounds like yours isn't connected up correctly.

You lost me with your other comments but if you wish to test the NMEA for your Furuno data 2, take a good cable and loop the NMEA output back into the NMEA input wires (loopback). Then when you turn on say GPS data to go out data 2, you should see it come back in on your port monitor screen.

Well us using the wrong cables explains alot..we just orderd three 000-117-603 cables..they should be the right ones.... Ok last question is do we need to send the 1.06 navionics unit out to update and convert to c map ?

Thanks again.
Jim

There is a hardware mod the service center likes to ensure is done on those early models. It would be best that it go to the service center.

Thans for the help (again) we hooked it all up with the rite cables and did the navionics update to 4.01 and all is welll...

Back