VX2 Sonar Issues (ETR30n)

R

random1

Hello USA Furuno,
I'm a newbie and having intermittent issues with sonar on my VX2 system this Furuno configuration:

• Navnet VX2 RDP149 Display (in a Navpod)
    ETR-30N Sounder Box
    Smart Sensor -- 1KW (New from Airmar)
    Furuno VX2 1944C Radar
    Garmin 740S hooked to a smart-sensor (DST800) on NMEA 2000 for temp and depth
    New B260 Transducer 6 months ago (checking with tech installer to be 100%)
I purchased this system as a "take-off" from an upgrade by the previous owner who claims all is well so there's not much history available from me. Radar, GPS work fine. However, the system listed above loses sonar -- intermittently (yeah when I trying to find structure!). The sonar behaves better on a single screen and single frequency; in fact, when it flakes out if I change from HF to LF or vice-versa and she recovers sometimes. When I lose sonar readings the screen keeps moving with a repetitive bottom view. When the hang occurs the depth numbers generally list the same number (no change in decimal values) OR goes to a ridiculous value of 4 - 15 feet. At that point I toggle the frequency from HF to LF or vice-versa and sonar sometimes recovers. Worth noting the display gets crazy hot in the Navpod should I drill some cooling holes? Does the RDP149 do anything more than display or does it process? The ETR is in the engine room -- high and dry yet a little warm; there's not much room in a 28' Carolina Classic for this stuff. So, where do I start to diagnose? I don't know where to chase the issue: the ETR30, the RDP149 or the transducer? When the "hang" occurs what or how can I capture to verify the issue?

Should I consider a DFF3? What will I have to change to change to a different sonar processor? Is this a good idea?

I don't want to start throwing parts at it to fix it. I'm happy to pay a service provider to help if anyone can provide a reputable tech. Everyone in my area is flooded with new work and doesn't repair or diagnose much anymore. The installer, tech I engaged throws his hands up saying the system is used so he's not able to help. Max Marine Electronics in Pompano is communicating with me via THT.

I appreciate any and all help to narrow this down. Thanks!!
-randyb

random1,

I would try using these settings on the BBFF3:

Go to the VX2 Sounder Menu, and select Sounder System Set-up, and then adjust Bottom Level Adjustment for both LF and the HF at -20.

I would also go to the Auto D. Box and select Manual for better Sensitivity.

Deep Blue - :)

Thanks! I'll try it and let you know. BTW, Furuno support suggests a potential issue with network cards or cables. Furuno support suggests I clear the settings on the BBFF3 also. I'll clear memory and adjust bottom level for -20. Thank you!

Update:

• Removed ETR30N and RDP
    Island Marine (Fort Pierce, FL) tested display and sounder box over last weekend
    Indicated no failures
    Verified and set ETR30n to B260 Specs
    STILL FAILING
Does anyone know how to diagnose a faulty transducer or transducer cable? Original tech is ignoring requests. Island Marine is too busy. Cannot find a way or a company to help. Sorry to whine but this has been going on for 18 months.

Same problems:
The sonar behaves better (50% of the time) on a single screen and single frequency; in fact, when it flakes out if I change from HF to LF or vice-versa and she recovers sometimes. When I lose sonar readings the screen keeps moving with a repetitive bottom view. When the hang occurs the depth numbers generally list the same number (no change in decimal values) OR goes to a ridiculous value of 4 - 15 feet.

There is not an easy way to test a transducer without the proper transducer tester. If you can find someone with a 1kW Transducer you can try would be the best option. You could configure it and hang it off the side of the boat for testing.

Back