AIS Data from ICOM 506 into 1920 and 1720

A

Anonymous

My system is Navnet VX2 GP1920 RDP 149 with DATA1 – BB GPS, DATA2 – NMEA data out to a 1942 radar, DATA3 – NMEA from a PG1000 compass, NETWORK to Ethernet Switch ; a Navnet VX2 1720 RDP148 NETWORK port connected to Ethernet Switch; and a DFF1 Depth Module connected to an Ethernet Switch.

I would like to input NMEA2000 AIS information from an ICOM 506. I understand from prior posts that this can done using Cable 000-154-028 NMEA Cable, 1 x 7 Pin Connector to DATA 1 of the 1720 and an IF-NMEA2K2 Data Convertor to the NMEA2000 network. Do I understand that correctly?

DATA 4 on the 1920 is currently unused and is also a 7 Pin. Could the Cable 000-154-028 NMEA Cable be connected to this port to receive the AIS data?

I would like to input NMEA2000 AIS information from an ICOM 506. I understand from prior posts that this can done using Cable 000-154-028 NMEA Cable, 1 x 7 Pin Connector to DATA 1 of the 1720 and an IF-NMEA2K2 Data Convertor to the NMEA2000 network. Do I understand that correctly?

That is correct for a 7" NavNet Vx2; NOT a 10.4".

The 10.4" must use data port 2 to bring AIS in. It becomes an AIS input only port.
Data 2 on a 10.4" is a 6 pin. (000-154-054)

I have a similar system with two RDP 139 chart plotters, and would like to add an icom M506 for AIS data. I understand it must be wired to port 2. If I do that, which NMEA sentence prefixes need to be turned on? I don't see anything for AIVDM in the list of options, but I may need a software upgrade.

I would also like to share the data between the two chart plotters through the network. Is there a sentence prefix that also needs to be turned on in the network page that enables sharing AIS?

Johnny Electron":3czhy309 said:
The 10.4" must use data port 2 to bring AIS in. It becomes an AIS input only port.
Data 2 on a 10.4" is a 6 pin. (000-154-054)

Ok, so reading the install manual for AIS, data port 2 only brings in AIS and the list of PGN's is fairly limited.

My plan is to use a IF-NMEA2K2 Nmea 0183 To Nmea 2000 Converter to send AIS data to the RDP-149 which will consume data port 2.

Do I need a 2nd IF-NMEA2K2 Nmea 0183 To Nmea 2000 Converter into another data port to get other network data (eg. Lat/Lon, COG, Heading, etc.)? My Furuno antenna died and I am trying to avoid snaking cable from the buggy top and use other devices on my network as sources (I already have 3 other GPS antenna sources).

You will at least need GPS data to show the AIS on your chart plotter. (GPS and Heading to show it on your radar)

If your source of GPS is NMEA 2000; Yes you will a another converter. It is important that you don't allow heading data to go into the NavNet on the normal NMEA ports. If you do this will normally lead to issues. You might consider a converter that you can customize the output for this purpose. Heading goes into the dedicated heading port only.

Thank you Johnny.

Can you suggest a converter that could be customized, can you suggest an example of one?

Johnny, getting closer, thanks again! Let me see if I got this right:

DATA1 - I will bring GPS data in from N2K via an Actisense converter that will allow me to turn off PGN's for heading (is there a list of what should be disabled)? Is there a way to just disable select PGN input on the VX2?

DATA2 - I will use the IF-NMEA2K2 Nmea 0183 To Nmea 2000 Converter to bring in AIS data from my N2K network.

DATA3 - This is where I'm getting confused:

Could I just connect to my existing NMEA 0183 bus and bring heading data in direct?
Or
Do I need to use another IF-NMEA2K2 Nmea 0183 To Nmea 2000 Converter to bring in heading data from N2K?
Or
Do I need another Actisense converter to block non-Heading PGN's?
Or
Would it be better or easier to use an AT10 (or AT10HD) to bridge to Simnet?

Thanks!

__Ports discussed relate to 10" Vx2 ____
DATA1 - I will bring GPS data in from N2K via an Actisense converter that will allow me to turn off PGN's for heading (is there a list of what should be disabled)? Is there a way to just disable select PGN input on the VX2?
Unless you have a source of 0183 GPS, this would be correct. You would need to talk to Actisense about how to configure the product. The Vx2 has no NMEA 2000 support, hence no "PGN" input control. It does not offer a 0183 filter either.

DATA2 - I will use the IF-NMEA2K2 Nmea 0183 To Nmea 2000 Converter to bring in AIS data from my N2K network.
Yes, the IF-NMEA2k2 in the AIS mode. The port should be setup at 3,400 baud rate. When Data 2 is used for AIS; that is all that it can be used for. It becomes an AIS input port only. You can't use the output to say drive a pilot.

DATA3 - This is where I'm getting confused:

Could I just connect to my existing NMEA 0183 bus and bring heading data in direct?
Or
Do I need to use another IF-NMEA2K2 Nmea 0183 To Nmea 2000 Converter to bring in heading data from N2K?
Or
Do I need another Actisense converter to block non-Heading PGN's?
Or
Would it be better or easier to use an AT10 (or AT10HD) to bridge to Simnet?

There really isn't such a thing as an 0183 bus. If you have 0183 heading data available, then use that because it would be much easier than trying to convert the NMEA 2000. Yes you would need another converter to convert heading if you don't have an 0183 source. You would wire the 0183 heading into data 3 (dedicated heading input port only). I have found if other data comes with the heading, it is pretty much ignored and doesn't cause a problem. Heading needs to be a 4800 baud. You can't run 3,400 for heading on the Vx2. Only 0183 at 4800 or the older 4 wire AD10 data.

There really isn't such a thing as an 0183 bus. If you have 0183 heading data available, then use that because it would be much easier than trying to convert the NMEA 2000. Yes you would need another converter to convert heading if you don't have an 0183 source. You would wire the 0183 heading into data 3 (dedicated heading input port only). I have found if other data comes with the heading, it is pretty much ignored and doesn't cause a problem. Heading needs to be a 4800 baud. You can't run 3,400 for heading on the Vx2. Only 0183 at 4800 or the older 4 wire AD10 data.

:respect I'm almost there! You reference "0183 heading data", are there specific 0183 sentences that I need to confirm are being sent? For example, my Garmin plotter will output 0183 sentences (among others):
GPAPB - APB:Heading or Track Controller (Autopilot) sentence "B"
GPBOD - BOD:Bearing (Origin to destination)
GPBWC - BWC:Bearing and distance to waypoint

Are these considered "heading data"?

Johnny Electron":3ssxwc8i said:
__Ports discussed relate to 10" Vx2 ____
Unless you have a source of 0183 GPS, this would be correct. You would need to talk to Actisense about how to configure the product. The Vx2 has no NMEA 2000 support, hence no "PGN" input control. It does not offer a 0183 filter either.

Johnny, need a clarification for this as well. I do have a source of 0183 GPS but was under the impression from your previous post that it wasn't good to pump heading sentences into DATA1. Can you clarify what problems I might experience if I bring unfiltered 0183 GPS data in on DATA1 while also having heading data come in on DATA3?

Bringing heading data into ANY other port than the dedicated heading port (data3 in this case) will result in heading issues, system lock-ups, and data loops. Don't do it.

NMEA 0183 heading sentences for the Vx2 can be HDM (Magnetic) HDT (True) or HDG (normally carries both).

GPAPB - APB:Heading or Track Controller (Autopilot) sentence "B"
GPBOD - BOD:Bearing (Origin to destination)
GPBWC - BWC:Bearing and distance to waypoint

Are these considered "heading data"?

Nope; they are not.

Johnny, :respect :respect

It doesn't appear my Garmin is sending HDM, HDT or HDG over 0183 (according to the manual) so I should be ok with a straight 0183 connection to send GPS data on DATA1.

DATA2 will be the AIS input from the IF-NMEA2K2 converter.

That's good and bad as I now need to get those PGNs/sentences from N2K and will need an adapter for DATA3. Given your point that DATA3 ignores everything but heading input, I shouldn't need a "Smart" converter that allows me to program filters.

Sound like a valid approach? Would I use the AT10HD or AT10 converter for the VX2?

Yes it sounds like you are on track. The Simrad converter for heading should be fine but you can't use the HD because I think it offers heading at 38,400 baud. Data 3 will only accept 0183 heading at 4800 baud. This will work great for overlay and AIS purposes. (keeping in mind that if you do buy an ARPA board that won't work because you need AD10 heading for that). Do not confuse the AT10 or AT10HD converters from Simrad with AD10 data. They are NOT related to AD10 data in any shape or form.

Spent some time this weekend getting everything connected. I have 2 open questions:

FIRST: What is the right wire color connections from the IF-NMEA2K2 to the Data2 Port? I am definitely getting N2K data over Data2 - I disconnected all other sources and had GPS data being received on the chart (and port monitor). Unfortunately, there were no AIS targets in range (according to my other N2k devices) so I'm not sure if AIS is working and i'm not confident I have the connections right. I did cut the Port2 (PPL) core per the instructions. I have:

IF-NMEA2K2 ---> Furuno Data2
White ---> Black
Blue ---> White
Green ---> Green
Yellow ---> Yellow

I did confirm that the AIS is turned on in system configuration and the port is @ 38.4 - is there a recommended setting (Range, Sector, etc.)?

SECOND: Is it possible to configure Data 3? In my setup, I can configure the Data 1, 2 and 4 ports, but there is no option for Data 3? I have Data3 connected to the Simrad AT10 and have confirmed I'm getting Heading data in on this port, but wanted to check the port settings/monitor to see what was coming in.

Thanks!

Data 2 on the 10.4"; when running AIS becomes an AIS input port only. Data 3 on a 10.4" is input for heading only. You can't configure it. It accepts either four wire AD10 data, or two wire NMEA 0183 at 4800 baud. (in case of NMEA it must be connected to White (+) and Black (-) as an input) You can not output data from data 2 or 3 understand this configuration. (data 3 never possible, data 2 because you are inputting AIS)

If you run the port monitor on data 2, you should see the AIS data clearly. (Normally starts like, !AI VDM or !AI VDO. If it looks garbled the baud rate is typically wrong. If it isn't showing up then the connection is wrong.

Cutting purple is correct for using the converter for AIS. It should be cut without power connected. Then plugged in to sense the mode change, then removed from power and plugged back for the unit to start using the new mode. You will need the Yellow (+) and Green (-) wires matched up between the converter and the Vx2 if using the older converter. If you have a newer converter It would be Pink (+) converter to Yellow Vx2 and Pink/Blk (-) to Green Vx2.

Thanks Johnny!

Looks like I have the wire pairs correct with Yellow and Green matched up. I will disconnect the other wires I have tied connected.

Can you clarify the mode change instructions? The purple wire was cut before the install so by definition the power was not connected. If I follow you correctly, I then plug the cord into DATA2 (to sense the mode change), unplug it and then plug it back in? How would I remove it from power (I assume it's getting power from the N2K backbone)?

You are unplugging the end where the IF-NMEA2k2 gets it's power, the NMEA 2000 end. You remove it from the bus, and reconnect. You do not need to cycle the NMEA 2000 bus or do anything with the NMEA 0183 side of thing.

Back