Navnet 3D to Garmin autopilot via NEMA 2000

A

Anonymous

I need some help if anyone knows the solution to my NAVNET 3D talking to my Garmin autopilot. It's a very strange problem. Here goes:

The Navnet 3D is hooked up to my Garmin autopilot via NEMA 2000. The autopilot is sending heading data and my 3D is receiving same. I know it's receiving because my 3D will start beeping loss of heading whenever I turn the Garmin off. However, when I input a waypoint the autopilot doesn't steer to the waypoint when engaged. I've been in the installation part of 3D and confirmed that my Garmin is selected for heading data. I've also got the NEMA sentences for navigation and cross track error selected. When I go to the NEMA 2000 tab in the installation window and select Navnet 3D, I can see the sentences formatted for output. However, when I go to the Sentences output tab I see a blank window which would tell me that the 3D isn't outputting the sentences to the Garmin.

So my situation is my Navnet 3D is receiving NEMA 2000 but it's not outputting NEMA 2000 data. This is why I think the problem is with my Navnet 3D and not the Garmin. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Hoghunter,

Please run the Installation Wizard again in your MFD12 and make sure that the following NMEA2000 PGNs(Strings) are enabled to send to the Autopilot:

These may all be required by the autopilot to accept the Navigation Data coming from the Furuno MFD12.

After you select the above PGNs, Restart the power on both units and test it at the dock and then on the water.

Let me know if you have any further problems but it should work fine... :cool

Note that both the Furuno MFD12 and the Autopilot are NMEA2000 Certified!!!

RadarX

radarX":17rvqes4 said:
Hi Hoghunter,

Please run the Installation Wizard again in your MFD12 and make sure that the following NMEA2000 PGNs(Strings) are enabled to send to the Autopilot:

These may all be required by the autopilot to accept the Navigation Data coming from the Furuno MFD12.

After you select the above PGNs, Restart the power on both units and test it at the dock and then on the water.

Let me know if you have any further problems but it should work fine... :cool

Note that both the Furuno MFD12 and the Autopilot are NMEA2000 Certified!!!

RadarX

I did the above as you suggested and nothing changed it doesn't work. As stated previously even with the PGN's selected for output when you select the MFD from your installation screen it shows no sentence's being outputted. I can for example select the SC-30 and it shows all the sentence's being outputted on the 2000 network and when I select the Garmin autopilot it shows the heading sentence being outputted.

The other strange thing is that I can be sitting in the boat at the dock with the engine's off and enter a waypoint say to the starboard at 60 degree's and enable the autopilot, the motor's will slowly start turning for a starboard turn. However, when the running and I enter a waypoint and enable the autopilot the same way nothing happens. The boat just keeps going straight. I'm very stumped by this behavior.

Hoghunter,
The NMEA 2000 port monitor of the NavNet 3D is for seeing that other devices are being recognized by the MFD. (pg 5 of install manual "Click on the “Port Monitor” button if you want to make sure that the NMEA2000 devices are correctly seen by the MFD"). The (MFD) port monitor really can't transmit and receive in the same spit second. Just like you don't listen to your VHF at the same time you transmit. If you really want to check the MFD output, it should be done from a monitor (like MARETRON USB100) somewhere else on the network. The MFD can’t monitor itself (NMEA 2000) with the port monitor tool.
If your Garmin pilot is being steered by the plotter at the dock, then it is getting data from the MFD. I would ensure the MFD has current (2.07) software and the proper NMEA 2000 sentences are turned on. If the pilot continues having problems it would be best to speak with Garmin and see what they can tell you. It might be a setting on the pilot (such as speed source) that makes the difference between the dock and moving. It could be that your NMEA 2000 network doesn’t have good communications (maybe too many or not enough termination) due to the network itself. NMEA 2000 has rules (like cable lengths, termination, and power) and if you violate a rule, it can cause strange issues. If Garmin can’t help you, I would suggest a good marine tech on the boat with a NMEA 2000 tester. We have seen many Garmin pilots work those sentences turned on. I would suspect a pilot setting/issue or a NMEA 2000 networking issue.
Johnny

Hoghunter,

I have a MFD12 with Garmin auto pilot system similar to yours. After you have selected a waypoint and are navigating to it with the MFD you must push the menu button on the Garmin GHC-10, then select "Engage Route To". The autopilot will then take you directly to the waypoint. You do not push the engage button to navigate to a waypoint.

The autopilot will only maintain your current heading when you press engage button.

When you arrive at the final waypoint the autopilot shifts to heading hold to maintain your last heading.

Mine works great! Good luck!!

High Voltage
Bluewater 2850

Back