Chart Handling by MFD12

Mariner62

Hi,
After super-quick resolution of my last problem, I thought I'd push the boat out again and ask another question about charts.

So my MFD12's had some Navionics vector charts unlocked when I took ownership of the system. They all seemed to be at revision 01, whereas the chart catalog shows them as now being at 04 or 05. (Assuming the last two digits of the file name represent the revision number?)

I downloaded one of the latest ones and installed it on the system. I got a message telling me I need an unlock code. The problem is that the original owner did not give me the unlock codes for the charts he installed. Ok, I'm trying to get my hands on the original unlock codes now.

When I look at the chart catalog on my MFD12, it now shows the rev 04 chart on the list as being locked, but more importantly the original rev 01 chart for the same area is no longer on the list. However, I can still see vector chart detail for the area exactly like before.
I'm confused about the following:

1. Did my rev 01 chart get automatically deleted when I installed rev04? If so, why can I still see the chart detail when the only chart for that area is 'locked'. Could it be coming from the slave MFD12 as I didn't load the new chart on there?

2. When I loaded the new chart, my available memory decreased. Would this be because the old 01 chart is actually still there taking up memory or is the new chart just a lot bigger than the old one?

3. How do I know exactly which chart file/data I am currently looking at? Is there a readout somewhere that tells me?

4. I have one unit of memory left on the system, so I will be trying to remove some charts I don't currently use. Is there a way to copy these back to the SD card so I can archive them on my computer for possible future use?

I really like the Navnet3d system. I'm just on a steep learning curve!
The hardware seems particularly good quality, and the system is nicely integrated, although the rev 01 chart data leaves something to be desired compared to current Navionics data on other platforms. I'm hoping that the upgrade to the charts will solve this.

Since buying the boat in August I've been using my iPad at the helm station for safety because the rev 01 charts are so inaccurate. I guess this isn't a Furuno problem, but I'd be happy to share some of the more glaring issues from my side by side comparisons if anyone is interested!

Cheers
Dean
:furuno

(Assuming the last two digits of the file name represent the revision number?)

CORRECT

I downloaded one of the latest ones and installed it on the system. I got a message telling me I need an unlock code. The problem is that the original owner did not give me the unlock codes for the charts he installed. Ok, I'm trying to get my hands on the original unlock codes now.

You can contact tech support via phone or our website with your system ID number and the original unlock codes can be provided to you. Keep in mind these unlock codes ONLY unlock the charts originally purchased. Any upgrade (newer revisions) would require an upgrade to your license and new unlock codes designed for them. This is very similar to chart cards of the past. If you decide you want new charts you have to turn in your old chip and pay in upgrade price to the chart company. The same applies here. The chart companies don't give free charts for life. You can check with tech support because it might be possible that license from the previous owner has been upgraded over time. Regardless of how old your license is, having it entitles you to an upgrade price to the newest so you don't have to pay full price. This of course applies to the purchased charts. The USA NOAA charts and their upgrades continue to be free of charge.

Did my rev 01 chart get automatically deleted when I installed rev04?

Yes, on the unit which you loaded the newer version.

When I loaded the new chart, my available memory decreased. Would this be because the old 01 chart is actually still there taking up memory or is the new chart just a lot bigger than the old one?

The new one has more data and takes more space.

How do I know exactly which chart file/data I am currently looking at? Is there a readout somewhere that tells me?

Newer systems like the TZT and TZT2 it is easier but the NN3D takes a bit more decoding or understanding of the chart numbering system. Recommend reading would be the NN3D chart and data installation guide. If you have questions our tech support is a phone call away.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... ide_v3.pdf

I have one unit of memory left on the system, so I will be trying to remove some charts I don't currently use. Is there a way to copy these back to the SD card so I can archive them on my computer for possible future use?

No, you can not copy charts out of the system. You can only add or delete. The source data should be kept in case you need it but if they weren't, no worries. When tech support sends you a list of all purchased charts for your system, it will also include download links where you can download the original files if needed.

Hi JE,
Thanks the comprehensive responsive. I now understand a lot more!

One thing still puzzling me is why I continue to see the vector chart data for the area corresponding to the original 01 chart (which was deleted when I loaded 04, which is locked to me)?

I will give Tech Support a call about the unlock codes.
Thanks again
Dean

The unit has some base charts (vector and raster) that are call World Wide Base charts. These charts work as a place holder and reference for when no charts are licensed for an area. You can not and should not use the base charts for Navigation. You need a chart for the area you plan to operate.

Back