MFD8 and NN3D Glitchy - Long Story

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I have a complete NN3D system that was installed in 2010. Components are an MFD8, DRS4D, GP-330B, DFF1 and HUB-101. Also have a SCS200 compass on the N2K network. All are installed on a 2008 Parker 2530 that is trailered and stored indoors. The boat power is Yamaha F150s with the command link square gauges. I also have the Yamaha N2K gateway to provide engine data to the MFD8. I'm also using the NMEA 0183 output on the MFD8 to provide speed, temp and time information to command link through the Speed gauge (blue and white wires).

This system has worked flawlessly since installation. A month ago while fishing I noticed that the NMEA 0183 data to command link was intermittent. Speed would flash 199 mph then go back to normal. It did this several times until there was no GPS speed data (or time or temp) received by command link. I removed, checked and reconnected all NMEA 0183 and NMEA 2000 connections, ethernet connections, misc. connections behind the dash and checked all the fuses. I'm using Port 1 on the MDD8 to provide NMEA0183 data to CL.

Took the boat again and everything worked except for no speed, temp and time data was being received by command link. All NavNet components worked. The following day after cleanup and putting the boat away I started up the MFD8 to clean up some waypoints and the MFD8 stated up with no connection to any devices except the compass which is on the N2K network. All ethernet devices were X'ed out (GPS, DRS and DFF). I ran the wizard and it did not see any devices. I can understand why the GPS was X'ed out because I was in the garage.

I backed up my data, did a master reset and installed software 2.13 (I had 2.07 previously). Restarted the system and still no communication among the ethernet devices. I played around with the connections at the HUB by swapping ports, etc. and eventually started up the MDF8 where it recognized everything. Just to make sure the GPS was working I borrowed a cable from a friend and hooked it up directly to Port 1 on the MFD8 and put it outside and it worked fine. Note that getting the system to recognize everything took several restarts and running the wizard. But in the garage it appeared everything was communicating.

Took the boat out again for some testing and once again on MDF8 startup there was no connection among the devices. Ran the wizard and nothing, no DFF1, no radar, no Yamaha gateway, no compass, no GPS. Shut down and restarted and ran the wizard again, and again. After the third time it finally started up and recognized everything. With a new problem being that there was no normal fish finder display. DFF1 was blinking every two seconds, MFD8 showed OK for the sounder, but no viable info on the display. Putted around for three hours trying different things but could not get anything to happen with the fish finder.

So now back home in the garage I borrow a friends FCV600L and a P66 transducer he just had on the shelf. Put the transducer in a barrel of water and with the FCV600L I get a good signal. Hook up the DFF1 to the P66 in the barrel and zip, the same screen I had on the water. Hook up the FCV600L to the B117 thru-hull in the boat and I get a good signal. So I send the DFF1 off to Furuno for diagnosis.

To deal with the NMEA0183 to CL problem I'm assuming that maybe Port1 on the MFD8 has failed somehow. So I've switched over to Port3 for my NMEA0183 to CL data but have not had the boat back in the water to test it yet. A question I have is if the CL system receives and displays NMEA0183 data if the engines are not running (w/ key on)?

Meanwhile all this quircky, glitchy stuff with the system is still bothering me. Note I had not made any changes to anything related to the NN3D, N2K or NMEA0183 networks prior to the problem. And although it seems like I've got everything talking, it's not very reassuring since I did not find anything wrong (except the DFF1). Having everything working, shutting down, and then on the next restart seeing things X'ed out is not very confidence inspiring. My Furuno love at this point is being majorly tested.

Any advice, suggestions, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

MarMax,
Thank you for the inquiry and detailed explanation.
from you description it appears that there may be more than one issue at hand. Lets try to address them one at a time:

" I'm also using the NMEA 0183 output on the MFD8 to provide speed, temp and time information to command link through the Speed gauge (blue and white wires)."

the NMEA data output to your CL (speed gauge?) was originally on port1, and after experiencing issues you moved it to port 3 (on the 18pin cable). On the MFD8 port#3 uses the Green (TX +) and Green/White (TX-) as the output wires , not the blue & white mentioned in your explanation. Secondly, we need to ensure that after moving this connection that you also went into the installation wizard and re-configured port 3 to output the correct NMEA sentences (ZDA=Time, MTW=water temp, VTG= GPS speed). Re-check and reply to us if this doesn't resolve the issue.

-next issue. Items missing/failing to connect on the Ethernet network (DRS, DFF1, etc). while this may something as simple as a RJ45 connector with some minor corrosion (please inspect all carefully) at the MFD8 or at the HUB101, but it could also be another issue.

" I backed up my data, did a master reset and installed software 2.13 (I had 2.07 previously). Restarted the system and still no communication among the ethernet devices."

Per the v2.13 software update instructions (https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... _v2.13.pdf) we recommend that you perform a master reset before a software update (which you did) but a master reset is also required AFTER you perform the software update. This second master reset it vital, and is done before you reload your user settings/waypoints/routes/etc.

We are here to help, so if these issues continue please feel free to contact our technical support department from 8am to 8pm EST. (East Coast- 410-479-4420 or West Coast 360-834-9300)

Flatline,

Thank you for the response.

Flatline":3cnmf87i said:
the NMEA data output to your CL (speed gauge?) was originally on port1, and after experiencing issues you moved it to port 3 (on the 18pin cable). On the MFD8 port#3 uses the Green (TX +) and Green/White (TX-) as the output wires , not the blue & white mentioned in your explanation.

Yes, you are correct and yes I have used the Green and Green/White wires for Port3 to CL.

Secondly, we need to ensure that after moving this connection that you also went into the installation wizard and re-configured port 3 to output the correct NMEA sentences (ZDA=Time, MTW=water temp, VTG= GPS speed).

I did go to the wizard and reconfigure Port3. I've been spending lots of time in the wizard and have gotten very familiar with it. I also unconfigured Port1.

-next issue. Items missing/failing to connect on the Ethernet network (DRS, DFF1, etc). while this may something as simple as a RJ45 connector with some minor corrosion (please inspect all carefully) at the MFD8 or at the HUB101, but it could also be another issue.

" I backed up my data, did a master reset and installed software 2.13 (I had 2.07 previously). Restarted the system and still no communication among the ethernet devices."

Per the v2.13 software update instructions (https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... _v2.13.pdf) we recommend that you perform a master reset before a software update (which you did) but a master reset is also required AFTER you perform the software update. This second master reset it vital, and is done before you reload your user settings/waypoints/routes/etc.

I did a master reset before and after per the instructions, and a couple extra just for good measure since I was getting nowhere. I did not load my waypoints until I went back on the water.

I have been on the phone a couple times to tech support, also talked to Airmar, and have spent time talking to the marine electronics company I purchased my system through. This forum chat should be a good way to work through things since getting the boat on the water is a full day event with a day of cleanup. Normally I'm happy to do it when I get a day of fishing in, but when my only option is to turn around an put the boat back on the trailer it gets frustrating.

I won't be able to test Port3 data to CL until I get on the water again. If for some reason Port1 is dead I'm not too concerned as long as Port3 and the rest of the MFD8 functionality works. I'm assuming you all consider the MDF8 end of life at this point. With so many glitchy problems cropping up at the same time overnight I'm beginning to think it's the MFD8 that's causing it all. Unfortunately I can't fit a TZT2 and I'm hesitant to consider a TZT9 because it's going to be end of life sooner as well.

I've installed my friends FCV600L temporarily so net time out will give me some more information, hopefully good. I would not think a failed DFF1 is the source of all this weirdness.

Thanks again for the response and continued dialog.

Here is an update regarding the NMEA0183 data from the MFD to command link. Did not have any communication happening on the water using Port 3. Back home in the garage I tried something Furuno tech recommended with Port 1. I connected the Blue to Green and White to Yellow on the harness and then ran the wizard to test for traffic on the port. I was able to confirm that there is traffic on the port so it must be working. Also checked the voltage across the red and black and a solid 12.12V.

Everything else is back working normally. Thanks to MikeR13 for selling me his DFF1!

I have ordered a TZT9 since the small format is the only thing I can fit on the dash. The smaller TZT2 is just too big for my available space. All this weirdness has me liking the idea of a 2nd MFD and I'll run them together for a while and see what I think. Also picking up a DFF3D and a navpilot 711C/OB.

Bottom line on the NN3D glitchy weirdness is I have no idea what fixed it. And I hate problems where you do not find a fix. At least it all seems to work for now.

Thought it was time for a second update on the resolution of the unusual problems. In summary:

- DFF1 failed and has been replaced
- Yamaha command link Speed gauge failed relative to receiving GPS data and has
been replaced
- N2K network upgrades were made since my feeling is there was some weirdness
happening with the original network
- MFD8 problems . . I'm not really sure if there is anything unusual going on with it
since the likely culprit was the N2K network
- MFD8 installation wizard weirdness is still there but only occasionally; will need
to give it more running time to see if it's really a problem

I've installed a TZT9, DFF3D and Navpilot 711C and will run the combined MFD8/TZT9 system for the foreseeable future. Having the DFF3D on the combined network does not seem to cause any problems. I just have to remember to always switch the power off to the DFF3D any time I want to run the MFD8 installation wizard.

Update 2 - Probably the last NN3D update. I posted this up in the communications forum:

http://furunousaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4325&sid=84bc4bab27a43f7c3265e409625294bd

No point in repeating things. I'm finally done with the weird glitchy startup issues with the MFD8. There is no explanation for why one time it works and the next it does not see sensors. The N2K network was completely replaced/upgraded, and everything else except the MFD8 seems to see all the sensors and work without issue.

I should receive a TZTL12F tomorrow via FedEx and hope to have it installed in place of the MFD8 by the next day.

Back