HUB101 working, but stopped talking to PC

bporter51317

I've had Furuno gear on my boat for about six years, working together beautifully.

I have:
MFD12
MFD8
PSU
FA30
DRS4D
HUB101
MAXSea on my PC.

The PC is Windows 10, but was upgraded from 7. All worked well under WIndows 7, all worked well under Windows 10. Windows 10 ate my hard drive, and I did a fresh install with a new disk and reinstalled MaxSea and got it all working beautifully a couple of weeks ago.

The PC is dual homed (two ethernet adapters; technically tri homed since it has Wifi) and I use one of the ethernet ports dedicated to Maxsea and Navnet. It has all worked well. For six years. Nothing has changed, no DIP switches throw inside, etc. etc.

Today, I turned things on, and the HUB101 is showing "Network Cable Unplugged", and Maxsea started going through the Connection Wizard when I started it. That hangs up.

The MFD's, AIS, and Radar all work - which means the HUB101 is functioning. When I turn the HUB101 off the MFD's scream about losing their Radar, so that is working properly.

However, the "Link" light on the back of the PC will not turn on, and I can not see the HUB101 network. I tried a different Ethernet cable that works with another hub, I tried both LAN ports on the PC. I tried every open jack on the HUB101. Nothing; no link lights, no love. I even disconnected the AIS which was on a port known to be functional and plugged in the PC - nothing. Everything has been powered off, powered up, etc. etc. and I hard coded the static IP onto my PC's Ethernet port.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm sailing off shore in a few days and would like to have this sorted. I can limp by and sneakernet my courses over to the MFD's, but it's not how I want to head out to sea.

This seems to be a problem with your computer or software. Please contact MaxSea (Nobeltec)
For sales, support and access to authorized Nobeltec dealers, please visit http://www.nobeltec.com, e-mail sales@nobeltec.com or call Nobeltec sales staff at telephone (503) 579-1414.

Melville":3v3ycvvz said:
This seems to be a problem with your computer or software. Please contact MaxSea (Nobeltec)
For sales, support and access to authorized Nobeltec dealers, please visit http://www.nobeltec.com, e-mail sales@nobeltec.com or call Nobeltec sales staff at telephone (503) 579-1414.

I'm not sure of that, the HUB101 not showing a connection to the computer has little to do with MAXsea.

Since then then I've learned that if I shut the HUB101 down for a long time - five minutes or more - it sorts itself out. A quick power cycle doesn't do it.

Are you turning on the 3D system first? Is it fully up and running before you turn on the computer?

Melville":2v7fjsqh said:
Are you turning on the 3D system first? Is it fully up and running before you turn on the computer?

Usually the PC is on first.

/* Strike this out */ This problem isn't easily reproducible again.

The problem CAN be reproduced.

If the HUB101 is powered down for any reason once it's been connected it won't reconnect to the PC. It WILL reconnect to the Furuno devices.

According to our technical department you should have the 3D system completely booted up before turning on the PC.

Melville":p08d5hgl said:
According to our technical department you should have the 3D system completely booted up before turning on the PC.

That's very nice. My PC is on pretty much all the time. It is somewhat impractical to have to shut it down every time to turn my instruments on, don't you think?

In fact, it doesn't actually work that way. For years I've just been turning my instruments on when I needed them without regard to the state of my PC. It has never not worked, except in this one case.

Never mind, I've found the workaround and can deal with it.

Hi

Can you share the work around you found ?

I have the exact same problem :
I lost instrument connection between TZ and hub011 during windows maintenance and no satisfactory solution from either furuno or maxsea.

thanks
SY.

Back