NavNet 3D HEADING MISSING

Piers

Furuno Fan
One last issue remains on the installation we did 3 years ago (!) which we cannot resolve. Any help would be so gratefully accepted....

Furuno kit installed includes: 2117 BB Radar; NN3D; SC50.

Every so often, the NN3D gives a single audible alarm. Nothing happens on any kit at all, and the only indication of what it might have been is in the Alarm Log which records HEADING MISSING every time it happens.

We cannot trace why this happens. Any ideas? Thank you.

It sounds like you don't have your heading updates (not baud rate) high enough from your NN3D or you are not running current software on the NN3D unit. If you can't resolved it, I recommend you open an official support case with your Furuno distributor. (Furuno UK)

It sounds like a setup or install issue. If this has happened the entire time; and you have records with Furuno UK, they might cover under warrantee if it turns out to be some sort of equipment issue. I always tell people to report and open cases during the warrantee period.

That should normally work fine as long as you don't have too many NMEA sentences selected to ON. If you turn on too many sentences then something will suffer or not get anything. The other thing to look for is your NN3D settings. Ensure that ONLY the NMEA 0183 port that has the heading connected to physically has the heading checkmark. If someone checkmarks "Heading" on any other port or the port on any of the other connected unit, it will cause the NN3D to keep checking for heading on that other port. So if you tell the machine to process NMEA on a port where there isn't any, you will get errors. This is a common setup mistake. I normally ask people to go into the setup wizard (Global - Data sources) and pull down the HEADING selection and tell me what options show up. What shows on yours?

Thanks for the feedback. Just before we fire everything up, perhaps the following will help.

For the sake of the full picture, we convert the NMEA0182 to NMEA2000 via a SIMRAD/Navico AT10HD hi-speed heading converter. We also do the same for the PG500 which gives us the ability to select either source by name in the NMEA2000 set up. Works fine for the Simrad Autopilot, never gets any errors. the error is purely random and relatively infrequent which I think indicates that it's not a set up issue - I think....

If you have current software (2.11 or 2.12) and you have set the instance numbers of your converters to different numbers, then I don't see an issue. Only one NN3D display is connected to your NMEA 2000 backbone correct?

For the AT-10HD converters, No 1 (ST50) has an instance 001, and No 2 (PG500) has an instance 002.

Back