DFF1+B744V+MFD12+HUB101 Problem

CarinaPDX

Furuno Fan
I'm trying to help a neighbor with his NN3D system, and ran into some problems relating to the DFF1 fish finder.

When running the MFD12 in Installation mode, the DFF1 is seen, and shows the transducer (Airmar B744V 50kHz/200kHz triducer) to have TD-ID. But both HF and LF are 50kHz/600W, in gray, and can't be changed. Any ideas what the problem could be?

He was using it with the non-NN3D setting for the DFF1 and the power synch switched off in the HUB101. It seemed to work fine with the one frequency. I switched the DFF1 to NN3D and the hub to power synch for both MFD and DFF1, and the DFF1 came on when the MFD was powered up as it should. The same transducer problem as above was seen but otherwise the installation seemed OK. Then the sounder display showed a connection error. Back in the menu any attempt to adjust the DFF1 settings, or reset to factory, kicked out an error which had not been described yet. (Hint to all S/W engineers: put something useful in the error messages when first programmed because you won't do it later!) Any ideas as to what is causing the problem? BTW the LED on the DFF1 is doing the 2 second blink as it should.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Well, the owner played with it and it is now back to working, but with the NN3D protocol and power synch. The single frequency issue still persists. I'm going to check for a firmware update to the DFF1 next. After that it would seem to be a transducer failure or an error in wiring the connector. This has never been used so the problem, wherever it is, probably existed out of the box.

Greg

Firmware is current in DFF1 according to an SDcard check on navnet.com. The p/n of the triducer indicates that it is the Furuno version. It is starting to look like a wiring issue either in the DFF1 or the triducer cable. So if anyone ever reads this, I am recommending that he take the DFF1 and triducer to Camas tomorrow for Furuno to sort out - it appears the problem came from the factory.

Greg

I suspect either a transducer problem or he has moved one of the internal switches (not the mode switches you checked) to the wrong position. Have him look for a four position switch on the main board straight inline from where his Network cable plugs into the board. The heads of those switches should all be AWAY from the cables. I suspect one was moved. There is also a red reset button on the board near the back edge; press it for about 3 three seconds to reset the unit.

I visually checked the internal dip switches, but didn't move them as they were in the correct position. I'll try to slide them down then up just in case there is a contact problem. Then do a reset with the switch you mentioned.

Greg

I thought I should update the outcome of this issue. My friend took the DFF1 to Camas where they confirmed it was a problem internal to the DFF1. Because he had apparently bought it, new in box, from someone other than an authorized dealer they denied warranty coverage (he did not realize that was the case). Instead they offered to repair it for $800 - which is about the new price. Furthermore if he wanted to get it back as is (it was working on 50kHz only) he would have to pay Furuno for having looked at it, so he walked away. I just hooked up a Raymarine adapter between the triducer and the N2K bus so he has depth if not a fishfinder.

Personally I feel that this is a shabby way to treat a customer who dropped about $5k on new Furuno gear in good faith, even if it is according to the warranty conditions. He has been rebuilding an old cruising sailboat and has never left the marina/boatyard here so the equipment has never been used. Isn't there some sense of responsibility for a new product not working?

Disappointed.

Greg

Almost nothing your friend has told you rings true. We never deny warranty coverage just on the fact that you purchased from a non-authorized dealer. We would never offer to repair at the same cost as the unit – it would be uneconomical to repair. Repairs don't come with a full warrantee as new units do. We NEVER charge a customer for looking at a unit if it is uneconomical to repair. Feel free to PM me this "Friends" information and we would gladly look into it. It is always best for us to talk to him directly because much has obviously been lost in translation.

Thanks for the reply. He is on vacation at the moment but I will follow up with him and you when he returns..

Of course you are correct that I am only hearing one side of the story, so nothing can be considered established fact unless I hear the same story from both parties.

Back