Disabling sounder

GUNNIN

NN3D interference makes my VHF radio virtually unusable. (Standard Horizon QUEST)
I pretty sure its the depth sounder.( radar is always on standby)
Is there a way of turning off the DFF1 whilst still using the GPS charts?

If you click on the sounder icon in the upper right it will set it to standby.
You should have a dealer take a look at the installation as the interference should be able to be suppressed.

Thanks Melville, simple. couldn't find it in the menu, so I put the curser on it and left click or rotokey press?
yes ide like to get rid of the interference, transducer is only 5 feet from the DFF1, ide like to shorten the cable, must have 15 feet coiled up. do you think that may help?

The left or right mouse click should set it to standby.
Do not shorten the transducer cable. If there is interference in the radio I would look at the antenna connection as that is where it most likely comes in. It could be grounding or shielding, but I'm not an expert. You might want to have a dealer look at it as you should always have your VHF available, even when using the sounder.

Ok, I disabled the sounder, interference to VHF continues, so its not the source.
Radar is already on standby so its not that.
I couldn't work out how to disable the GPS without putting whole unit in sleep mode which I did. noise in VHF continues.
So with all parts shut down the interference is the same. powering down the MSD12 solves the interference issue.
Any ideas? Is it the Ethernet network itself causing the problem?

If someone used unshielded network cables, that is a possibility. You shouldn't have plastic connectors on any network cable. They should all have metal (shielded) connections.

Checked today, All metal RJ45s. looks like all original Furuno cables.

What I have got is all pieces installed in very close proximity, so huge amounts of cables coiled. for instance radar is only 6 ft above the MFD12 but must be 30ft of cable coiled up. Ditto transducer, Ethernet cables etc. Its frustrating that cable lengths cant be reduced.

We offer digital radar scanner cables in as short as 5 meters. It is also possible to cut down the size if done correctly. Being that you said it seems to be sounder related, I would focus on the sounder data cable and the transducer cable.

I originally suspected the sounder but soon discounted that after you told me how to put it on standby.
So its not the sounder or radar, interference continued after I disconnected them. Interference definitely changed when I started moving coiled cables about. ill be back at boat in next fews days, ill pay more attention to which cables I was moving... il now post another issue, SST. Sorry for being a pain.

Back