adding mfd12 and dff1 uhd to existing mfd8

A

Anonymous

I have an mfd8 with gps connected by nmea 2000 backbone. I recently purchased an mfd12, dff1 uhd and an airmar b265c-lh transducer. the transducer is not on the boat yet.

in preparation I connected the mfd12 to nmea 2000 backbone, and the dff1 uhd to the mfd12 via the network. the mfd12 came up fine, with the mfd8 as the master. however i though i'd find the dff1 uhd sounder via the mfd12, but didn't.

does this configuration require a hub so the dff1 uhd can get an ip address from the mfd8?? or can i use the dff1 uhd directly connected to the mfd12?

and can i test this setup without the transducer installed?

thanks
Joe

With the NN3D system you should NEVER have more than one MFD on a single NMEA 2000 bus. With that said, if your MFD8 has been on the NMEA 2000 bus and still is; you can NOT attach the MFD12 to the NMEA 2000 backbone. Doing so will cause many system issues.

It is also VERY important that you do not mix software version between MFDs on the network. This means if you purchased a new MFD12 with V2.11 software; you must ensure you have updated your operating system on the MFD8 to also be V2.11. Mixing software between displays is not allowed and can also led to system issues. Since you have the new DFF1-UHD sounder it is essential that you use the v2.11 software or better.

When using more than one MFD on the NN3D system, they should have the Furuno HUB 101 to ensure power sync of the system works correctly. The setup should be first configured on the master, and then later each slave unit on the system. Although your master had been setup; the configuration had changed (added new items to the network) so you need to re-configure the master first to update the system configuration before trying to setup the slave unit.

If after following this guidance you still have difficulties, I recommend you call tech support from the boat. We can normally get you up in running in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like first thing I need to do is to update the mfd8 software. Tomorrow I'll order the hub.

So if I understand you correctly, the mfd8 and gps can stay on the nmea 2000 backbone. then the mfd8 will also be connected to the hub, along with the mfd12 and the dff1 uhd, is this the correct wiring?

Also, if the nmea 2000 bus has external power, can I use that to power the mfd8? or should the mfd8 have its own power circuit?

Once i've updated the mfd8 sw and have the hub, i'll reconfigure.

thanks

So if I understand you correctly, the mfd8 and gps can stay on the NMEA 2000 backbone. then the mfd8 will also be connected to the hub, along with the mfd12 and the dff1 uhd, is this the correct wiring?

Correct. The NN3D system is designed to power up together and go down together; keeping everything in sync. When you power the system from any station, the power sync and hub101 will power up everything. The NMEA 2000 info will run thru the MFD8 (even if in sleep mode) and then be passed to all connected unit via the Network connection.

Also, if the nmea 2000 bus has external power, can I use that to power the mfd8? or should the mfd8 have its own power circuit?

If the power source is great enough to connect both your NMEA 2000 power T and the MFD from that same source power; that is fine. You would not of course connect the MFD power cable to the NMEA 2000 bus.

It sounds like you are on the right path. Let us know how it goes.

JE, thanks. waiting for my hub, so they're completely separate units right now. the mfd8 is on the nmea 2000 bus, and the mfd12 and dff1 uhd are together. re-ran system setup on both and its looking good. when the hub comes, i'll re-run the system setup again, and make sure that only 1 mfd is the master.

also, double checked the system version and they're both running 2.11

thanks again

Back