NN3D DSC via NMEA2000

A

Anonymous

I have connected a DSC radio to the NMEA2000 network via a Furuno IF-NMEA2k2 converter. Does anyone know if this will work? When the radio receives a position report nothing appears on the NN3D MFD. (It works when the radio is connected to an NMEA0183 port on the MFD). I ran the installation wizard to look at the incoming NMEA2000 data and the MFD seems to recognise PGN 129808. It doesn't show any data in PGN 129808 though???

NN3D version is 2.11
IF-NMEA2K2 version is 1.4

20150106_204200.jpg

I think you are referring to PGN 129808 (DSC). To have it function correctly you would need to be receiving both the DSC and DSE NMEA 0183 sentences. Both sentences are required to plot a target. The interface has worked fine for many TZT users who take 0183 radios to the NMEA 2000 bus, so I don't expect a problem there. Are you using a multiplexer that might be getting to much data to the interface or is this a direct connect from the radio to the interface. Is there some reason you don't want to use the working 0183, direct connection? I note that older NN3D software didn't support DSC by NMEA 2000. Are you sure your NN3D is running the newest version of software (v2.11)?

Thanks for the reply Johnny. You are correct - I was referring to PGN 129808 (DSC). This is indeed a direct connection from the radio (Icom IC-M400BB) to the IF-NMEA2k2 interface and I can confirm that the MFD is running version 2.11 I had it working with NMEA0183 into Port 3 on the MFD and wanted to simplify the wiring. The Interface is in the standard configuration (no wires cut) and is supplying position information to the radio - I would prefer to have the interface also handle the radio output. That way the interface can be located close to the radio and tied into the NMEA2000 network rather than running an additional cable to the MFD. Cheers.

I will have to check with Japan and see. All my prior documents show that DCS was only input via 0183. This is inline with the fact the NN3D also doesn't process AIS via 2000 (0183 or Furuno Network only). The current manual does show that it accepts 129808 PGN. I am not sure when that was added to the manual. I do not see the change/addition on our software history list. It might have been an error. Sometimes when they edit documents they make mistakes especially when dealing with so many systems. I confuse NN3D and TZtouch all the time. If the NN3D has changed and does accept 129808, I would say based on the information you have given; it doesn't appear to be working correctly. I will see what I can find out. Being there are very few NMEA 2000 radios on the market and most people wire these by 0183, you might have discovered a manual issue at minimum or an undiscovered software bug.

Japan has verified it is a printing error in the manual. 0183 DSC was added to the NN3D with version 2.07 or later. Before that, DSC wasn't supported at all. DSC via NMEA 2000 is not supported on the NN3D system and doubtful that will ever change. It processes DSC via 0183 only. Japan will make the necessary change to the manual. It is rare to find NMEA 2000 radios at this point but they will become more prevalent. Thanks for reporting this. If you PM me your name and mailing address, I will send you out some Furuno coffee mugs.

Thanks for the fast response Johnny. I have re-wired it to port 3 NMEA0183 and it is working again. PM sent.

Thank you for the information presented.

I was going to inquire if in my upcoming radio purchase an Icom 506 with NMEA 2000 radio was worth the expense. Since NN3D does not support DSC via NMEA2000 there is little reason to pay an extra $100 for the radio to add a function that adds no value.

That's $100 I can use for fuel.

I'm using the NN3d (updated) with Icom 602. It's hardwired to data1 (0183) through an Actisense multiplexer. It's the only "junction box" box closest and I'm testing how the damn thing works and gets wired.

So, I had Bermuda radio DSC call me and I got no position on the plotter. Data1 "out" to channel 1 "in", "out" with red-black-green wires to junction terminal to NMEA "in" to Vhf. Vhf "out" hardwired to Data1 "in."

I get position and time/date info on Icom but a DSC call elicited no plotted position. I have "all stations" listed in the DSC settings and the Icom manual says it doesn't need special settings, it should just connect. Of course, the manual is a little light on anything I need to know. Any thoughts on this? I'm at 4800 baud.

Also, can the vhf be wired to Data2 wiring and is the Data1 cable best for working with B&G Hydra 2000?

I'm getting tangled up in these damn Actisense multiplexers and Actisense is apparently asleep at the email/FB/phone wheel.

Thanks guys, ya'll do good work.
:questions

You can check with Icom but I have found that the Icom602 does not output the required NMEA DSE sentence and hence cannot be plotted. Most radios can conduct DSC calling (using the provided GPS data) but a plotter needs both DSC and DSE sentence to plot a target. The DSC sentence includes a position in degrees and minutes (without decimals) which isn't quite enough precision data for an MFD to put a dot on a chart. DSC alone can be off by a mile so it cannot be plotted without the more detailed additional sentence of DSE. As a result, another sentence named DSE was invented which supplies the missing decimals to the minutes for a usable position. I have verified the NavNet 3D does work when properly given the correct information. (like from an Icom502) Maybe you can ask them about a software update.

Johnny Electron":2tbdvdz6 said:
You can check with Icom but I have found that the Icom602 does not output the required NMEA DSE sentence and hence cannot be plotted.

Love that the Search function here works.

I've got an M602 in my boat, with four MFD12's and wondered about connecting the 0183 out from the radio to the plotters. This tells me that might be a fool's errand because the M602 doesn't send the right data.

That'll save me some head-banging against the bulkhead....

You still might want to wire GPS to the radio if it doesn't have it's own GPS, so your Distress button will work if you are ever the one in need.

Right, definitely going with GPS into the radio, the question was should I try connecting 0183 back out of the M602 for DSC features.

Does an MFD12 even support the DSC/DSE features? Assuming something was properly creating them, of course.

Sorry to revive that question, i have an ICOM m602 and it is confirmed by ICOM that the 602 doesn't output DSE sentence. I need to be able to plot an AIS distress message on the MFD12 so i have several choice: upgrading the M602 for a used M604. Installing a second radio capable of DSE/DSC and hooking it to the MFD12.

I'd like to know once a distress call is being "heard" over the air, does a DSC compliant radio immediatly send the DSC/DSE sentence over NMEA0183 without any human intervention ? So the point would pop up on the Navnet MFD12 ?

I ask because with those new personnal AIS safety beacon, they automatically start to transmit a GPS position if someone falls aboard, that mean on a cruise there is now only one other person and its a different process to instruct people if the point is plotted automatically versus having an action to made. I never had the experience with my MFD12 because the 602 never sent the DSE, i got several distress message though on the radio with position but i had to plot it manually.

Any insight ?

I'd like to know once a distress call is being "heard" over the air, does a DSC compliant radio immediatly send the DSC/DSE sentence over NMEA0183 without any human intervention ?
I would have to say yes but that is really something you should be asking the maker of said radio.

So the point would pop up on the Navnet MFD12 ?
Yes as long as both DSC and DSE is received. You need both to plot the location. When the MFD receives both, the point will appear automatically without user intervention.

Thanks Johnny

Again you (and your team) are giving us much more value out of our Furuno choice than technology alone. :furuno i feel part of a family when i see your timely answers and guidance.

Here is the response from ICOM:

Thank you for contacting Icom America.

I need to know if once a DSC distress signal is incoming on the air, will the M400bb (black box) send "without human intervention" and automatically the point coordinates over NMEA 0183 as DSC-DSE message ?

The M400BB will automatically relay DSC-DSE data to a connected chartplotter using NMEA 0183 for display.

Mob.JPG

For the reference, i successfully demonstrated a personnal AIS beacon (Ocean Signal MOB1) triggered and sent its signal, received by an ICOM 400BB which send through NMEA018 to one of the port of the MFD8 inside the boat. The position of the sender is immediately displayed on the Navnet.

Next is to find a way to trigger an audible alarm for this specific event. :cool

Back