Best deepwater transducer DFF3

K

koastal

Hi First post here.

I bought a boat that has a Dff3 box and a MFD 8 screen. It doesnt have a transducer though.
I will be fishing the water around Vanuatu where the water is mainly extremely deep (1000 - 3000 meters)
I will like to pole mount a transducer that will enable me to see as deep as possible. The boat also has a 587 with a TM 260 so it should be ok for the shallow stuff (< 300 meters)

I would like to recreational fish (elec reels) as deep as water as I can.

Can someone recommend a transducer that is compatible with the above components. Keeping in mind I would like to see really deep ( abject curiosity)

Also i have read that I can use a chirp transducer with the DFF3 in "Tone burst mode"
I have no idea what "tone burst" is though.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Terry

Koastal,
The LF side of the R-509 will meets your deep water needs. However you will need to decide what to do for the second frequency as you will have three different choices i.e. a HF with a narrow beam, a HF will a wide beam or going with the a medium frequency. So your choices would be a B-509LH, R-509LHW or R-509LM. All have the same shape an can be easily pole mounted.

Snips

Thanks for your advice Snips.
Will the 509 LHW outperform a 38B-15R when connected to the DFF3 ?

Will the 509 LHW make the existing 587 with 260 reduntant ?

Koastal,
I think you mean the CA82B-35R. It is a medium frequency transducer that (I think) works best around 75Khz. You really can't compare it to the LHW as that is a wide at 200Khz.

The only reason I would choose the LHW is if I was using the HF side to look for fish in the upper 250ft of the water column.

Snips

Koastal,
Sorry for the confusion, we know that model as CA38BL-15HR. Never had the chance to test them side by side. The 15HR has 15 elements where the 509 has 24. The 509 would have a narrower beam width when using it at 38Khz. The 15HR is a good transducer but in my humble opinion the 509 offers more flexibility.

Snips

Koastal,
Yes that transducer is compatible with the with the DFF3. It is 3kw on the LF side a 1kw on the HF. I am curious why the CM-599LHW instead of the R-509LHW if this is going to be pole mounted?

Snips

Considering pocket mounting snips
if i go pole I will go the the 509 as your recomendations

Koastal,
Be advised that the CM-599 will be very prone to hull turbulence. The further you can keep the face of the transducer away from the hull the better they will perform.

Snips

Ta Snips
Reckon i can angle it down like my TM260 ?
Displacement catamaran GB 2640 cruise 20 knots

Back