Tztouch2 transducer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougp

Hello,
I’m about to purchase a new tztouch2 15” to replace my nn3d MFD12 and fcv585, I have some questions re transducers - I currently have a B164 installed which works well with my fcv585, but probably not so well with the tzt2? I also have a pair of brand new SS264’s (50/200), will these work with the tztouch2 RezBoost?

I fish in areas no deeper than 250’, but most of my fishing is done in 90’ or less.

If the above mentioned are no suitable can someone please advise which transducer(s) would be suitable and would utilise the exisiting B164 hole, if possible.

Cheers,
Doug

i have been inundated with the wrong information concerning transducers and thousands of dollars in the hole from well known Furuno distributors finally came on this forum. i have a head boat so i relied upon my two 12" TZtouch2 . my first venture for a thousand bucks was a Furuno b-164 that did not work so another thousand and a 526TID/LTD/20 better but not great so i pluck down some really big bucks after great advice on this forum B-265LH . this is a 1kw multifrequency transducer to be used in conjunction with a DFF-1 UHD black box . for the ultimate in resolution in water depths from 30' to 750'.(believe it or not) Atlantic city boat show a well know Furuno distributor told me our administrator is wrong i should use B-275LHW transducer (i walked away).

:jump

DougP

You will always get quicker and better answers to ask transducers/sounder questions under the Fishfinder & Sonar topic area.

When it comes to rezboost, there is standard rezboost and Enhanced that has a short list of specific transducers that are needed. You will find a full listing of these units in the Installation manual on page iv. Please note the included note on page V that say... * (Asterick items): compatible with Accufish, Bottom Discrimination and RezBoost Enhanced mode. All listed are compatible with Rezboost Standard mode.

All, in my opinion the TZT2 product is lacking on the sonar portion. I have been trying to get the same performance from my TZT2 as I had with my NN2. I also have a B164 which worked well on my NN2 but not well with TZT2. I have been a Furuno fan for 30 years but the sonar on the TZT2 is disappointing at best. I’m looking to add a Furuno sounder to supplement the TZT2. Just my opinion.

Overall the B164 is my least favorite transducer across the board, no matter what sounder. If yours has problems I would recommend photos posted to the sounder topic area. Snips is magic at reading sounder images.

Thanks guys for you views and sharing your experiences. I still don’t know if my SS264’s will work with the tztouch2? Will they perform better than the B164? Or do I just cut my losses and buy another transducer?

I believe the list of recommended transducers on Furunos site for the TZT2 has a 556TID-LTD/20 which is a Airmar SS164. Is that not the same as a B164 only in stainless steel?

Furuno USA's website, Under the TZTL product page for accessories - transducers, Bottom discriminating transducers; there is a 525T-LTD/20. This is a B60. It is suitable.

I do not see the 556TID-LTD/20 listed in that same list on our website. Maybe you are talking about another website? You are correct that is a B164 that wont work, so someone made a mistake. Can you provide a link?

The ss164 is listed under transducers. Not under bottom discrimination.
Products
NavNet MFD
TZTL12F
Accessories
Transducers
8 down

My point is it appears to me Furuno is recommending a transducer that this site says does not perform well. I don’t think consumers fully understand that you need a specific transducer to get Rezboost. I did not when I bought my system. I have now installed a P66. I think there is a massive amount of confusion about transducers and the TZT2.

I agree it can get confusing between normal basic compatibility, Standard rezboost, enhanced rezboost and Bottom discrimination. The TZT2 install manual is pretty clear with the table concerning enhanced rezboost. Our website has made the attempt to divide up which ones can do bottom discrimination. I think the biggest challenge is that the answer can be different depending on the machine it is used with. The answer for a B260 is different for example on what it does for the FCV588 compared to what it will do for the GP1870F. With so many features it can make your head spin. If ever in doubt, I recommend calling tech support. I was concerned you had found something mistakenly posted; because that happens from time to time.

Hi,

First timer.

I have the gp1870f and purchased a new Kingfisher aluminium hull. Is it here an in hull or transom mount that is 1k and supports the accufish features?

Thanks

Andy

Thx...what if I go thru-hull with the airmar ss175h?

Thx

Andy

Johnny Electron":1tb5z3rb said:
The TZT2 install manual is pretty clear with the table concerning enhanced rezboost.

No, it's not.
The TZT2 manual, in Section 7.13, page 7-15 describes the difference between Enhanced Mode and Standard Mode Rezboost. The manual simply states, however, "Rezboost is available with the following transducers." It doesn't say which Rezboost (enhanced or standard) is available with the listed transducers. And the only 1kW options are the 526TID-HDD and the 50/200-1T. So the blanket claim that "Rezboost...achieves CHIRP-like performance from your conventional 600w or 1kW narrow bandwidth transducers..." is misleading.
I also made the mistake of cutting a 4" hole in my hull and installing a B164 to hook up to an eventually failing FCV585. And then made the mistake of spending $1400 to try using it with a GP1971F after the dealer told me it would work with Rezboost. There wasn't a B164 option in the setup list and selecting the 50/200-1T option upon the recommendation of a forum moderator didn't improve the lousy picture quality.
I was told by a dealer today that the B164 would work with enhanced Rezboost on the TZT2-15 but now that I've downloaded and read the manual I'm finding that's not true either. And I got the same run around when trying to find out what the fishing and bathymetric charts that are available for the TZT2-15 are going to look like. The electronics dealer referred me to Furuno. Furuno referred me to Navionics. Navionics referred me to Furuno...No one knows what the charts look like. The customer is supposed to spend thousands of dollars to find out.
I've tried hard, with too many hours of research, to figure out how to put a Furuno product on my boat to upgrade the fish finder with accompanying bathymetric charts and backup navigation only to get persistent obfuscation. I'm moving on.

Sorry to hear. Furuno USA support should have never told you to contact Navionics unless there was a misunderstanding on what machine you had. Currently C-map offers the bathy charts for these machines. Example photos could and should have been provided. We don't control our independent dealers but we do our support staff. If you PM me who you spoke with and the details, we can follow up. This forum is not the best place to be axe grinding. Complaints should be addressed to the right people. I am sure you have spoken with the service/support manager before throwing in the towel? If there are any details you are willing to share, please PM me the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back