Event Switch - Do I need to add a debounce circuit?

seaveepete

Furuno Super Fan
Hi,
I've used the orange and black wires from the multi-cable to connect an event switch in order to quickly and easily create waypoints at the current position. I'm following section 2-4 in the install guide. It works but I'm seeing 2 or 3 waypoints created each time I close the momentary switch I've installed. Even when I do an extremely fast push on the switch I can get multiple waypoints.
Is there any way to avoid the duplicate waypoints or do I need to add circuitry to debounce my switch?

It sounds like your wiring is wrong or the switch has some sort of issue. The colors your provided (Org = GND) and (Blk = Gnd) wouldn't be what is used for the external event switch for the TZT. It would normally be WHITE and BLACK, not Orange and Black. Hopefully that is the problem.Event switch.JPG

I guess I wasn't clear about this being a TZT2 unit - the diagram you provided is correct for the TZT. The interconnection diagram in the TZT2 installation manual shows the event switch using BLK and ORG wires on the multi cable.

My fault, I somehow thought you had the TZT14. The wire colors you have are correct (ORG and BLK) for the TZT2. That being the case, I would look at the grounding of the machine or the switch. You would want a momentary switch that fully opens after the short and doesn't try to "bounce" or stay connected.

Hello,
I'm considering adding the event switch.
1- Can the switch be a Carlin momentary switch? I guess it would be like a horn switch.
2- If my idea is wrong, what switch is acceptable?

Thank you.

bob

I normally recommend a small push button momentary switch. Something simple that is spring loaded so it won't stay closed and not bounce.

Johnny,
I have 2 more questions.
1- I have 2 displays. One at lower helm is the master and the other in the tower. I want to add an event switch to the tower station when I'm off shore fishing and will use it the most. Can I also add an event switch to the lower station?

2- To be clear on the push button wiring. The push buttons I have researched have 2 wire connectors. Does it matter which wire goes to a certain terminal?
Bob

For my event switch I used the Blue Sea Systems momentary pushbutton switch. Again, the issue is that I'm getting multiple events each time I press that switch - even when I try to press that button super fast. If you are not familiar with the switch bounce problem in digital circuits take a look at this article:
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app- ... mvp/id/287

Regarding the questions above...
1) If the machines are networked you should get the waypoints created on both when pressing an event switch connected to either machine. I can test this tomorrow and if I see something different I'll report back.
2) Wiring... it's a switch so it doesn't matter how you connect the two wires as long as it's the orange and black.

Good luck.

Agree with SeaveePete
1. Yes, each unit can have it's own event switch.
2. No it doesn't matter. The two wire connection is a direct short between the two when the switch is pushed.

Curious to hear about how your setup works and if you also see multiple waypoints being dropped at the same location each time you press that event switch.
BTW - you'll need to go to your "Lists -> Points" page and sort the waypoints by range to see those duplicates - they will look like one point on the chart.

I was out today and I forgot to try the switches. I used a push button switch in the tower and a horn switch in the lower helm.
I marked a few spots by touching the sounder display and adding a new point form there. You can select a waypoint type and then name it.
i'm using different icons for inshore, offshore, and different ones for the 2 off shore islands I fish near. Easy to keep track that way.
I will try it next time I'm out.

Sorry for the time lag. I took the boat out and tested the two event switches I installed for each display. Both work and produce 1 event location. One switch is a condura rocker and the other is a simple push button.
Hope this helps

Back