Best Practice for MFD Chart Updates

eheffa

Hi again,

I hope the answer to this question is not too obvious.

I just activated my local Vector charts (Canada West - WVJNAM025MAP12.1) last weekend.

When I initially tried to activate the chart, I looked for the WVJNAM025MAP12.1file on the TZT2 catalog listings. (My TZT2 is not connected to the internet) I could not see the proper chart listed, so pulled the Micro SD card and tried to load the chart files onto the card. This failed with the message that there was not enough space on the 128 GB microSD. I put the card back into the back of the MFD and tried simply entering the activation code which worked. So it would seem that the chart was already loaded & I missed seeing it there. (I will blame my Y chromosome for that.)

In the meantime TZ / Mapmedia has updated this chart to version 13.1. I received an email notice of this and after my asking for it, received authorization to download and activate these new charts for no charge. (Thanks)

I have the new 13.1 version of the charts downloaded and have new activation codes.

(It would be prudent to back up the MFD microSD to a hard drive before I do anything further. I will do this.)

Now how to update these charts...? (I have read the instructions which won't work since I do not have enough room on the mSD card without some deletions.)

Options:

Option 1: Take the MFD MicroSD out and using a card reader on the PC, find the old 12.1 files, delete them and then load the extracted new 13.1 files to the same directory.

Option 2: Take the MFD MicroSD out and using a card reader on the PC delete a bunch of charts I am not likely to ever use (East Coast USA etc.) to make room for the new files then follow the instructions of loading the new 13.1 files onto the root directory of the MFD mSD card. Do i leave the old 12.1 files untouched?

Option 3: Load the new 13.1 files onto a thumbdrive, plug this into the USB port on the MFD and allow it to detect and load the new files (presumably onto the MFD microSD?)

Any suggestions appreciated.

-evan

I see good hints here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3144

Still, the documentation on this question is not exactly easy to find.

Is it better to delete the files using the MFD or with the mSD out and in a computer? Does it matter?

-evan

You can delete your old version of the map (SDVJNAM025MAP14) from your SD card using your MFD or your PC. I normally do it with my PC just prior to copying over the new version. (SDVJNAM025MAP15). Note that SDVJNAM025MAP15 is the main vector chart and part of the WVJNAM025MAP13.1 package. You can always see the complete package of files in a package but imputing the package number into the search at MapMedia.com.

Can i just purchase A micro sd card from a retailer with USVI and BVI maps already downloaded ??, need system uo and running when its unloaded off ship ..Boat is coming from italy..thanks

We frown on highjacking of old threads for which you didn't originate. If asking if you can buy the USA preloaded map chip (TZT-CHT-SD3) that covers the USBI and BVI, the answer is YES. Any Furuno USA dealer should be able to order you one (or more). Keep in mind that this is only the chip that is pre-loaded but a proper unlock code/chart licence is still required to unlock and see the data. This can also be ordered from your dealer with the System ID (SI) number from the system for which you wish to licence the chart for.

Back