Active Captain Update with Multiple TzT2's

Loy

Furuno Fan
As I understand it, with multiple TzT2's in a network all displays load charts from the chart 'master' display.
If the Active Captain database is updated on the chart master, will all displays in the network have the Active Captain database updated?

Each display in the network actually loads its own charts from the SD card in the back on the machine. The "master" display provides the system ID needed to unlock any "for pay" charts such as CMap. NOAA charts are already provided for free.
You will need to update the Active Captain database in each display individually. A good WiFi connection will make this very easy.

Thanks FishTech, but I'm still uncertain about charts, micro cards and where they must reside.
My concern is that card access is only at the back of the unit [same as USB access]. This access can be extremely difficult to get at after installation is completed.
I will have a micro card reader SDU-001 at my card 'master' TZT2.
As I understand the only way to update the charts residing on the master card is to either remove that card and update it on a PC or access it externally via a card reader. But how about the other TZT2's on the network? If the only network card data interchange is unlocking authority and the actual reading of charts is to each display's internal card, it would seem that chart updates have to be done on each display AND the only way to do that is either by access to the rear of the machine OR its separate external card reader?
And, does the same apply to software updates involving the OS?

Sorry, but I'm getting even more confused about chart updates on a multi-display network. You imply that the 'master' controls chart unlocking for the entire network, but that chart updates must be accomplished at each display individually thru it's micro card reader at the back of the display [or the USB port, also at the back of the display].
But...
Now I've discovered the "Chart automatic_chart_unlock_code insertion_instructions,pdf" file entitled for the MFD8/12/BB on the software page for the TZT2. The instructions for a single display AND instruct that this process must be repeated on EACH display,
The instructions don't seem to apply to the TZT2, but reside on the TZT2 software page.
Are they applicable?

Each Machine must have their own charts. No charts of ANY TYPE are shared from machine to machine. These units are fully redundant so each unit has its own charts. The chart master manages and shares the SYSTEM ID for the entire system. This is the only thing it does. It doesn't share charts, only the unique ID number. This allows your entire connected system to have the same System ID so that your unlock code works for each unit of your entire system. Currently the entire western hemisphere is loaded on a 128GB chip at the back of every machine. Some of these charts require a licence to see and use. You only need to enter an unlock code; so access to the chart card is not needed in most cases. For those who can't access the back of the unit for the once a year or so update they might want; then an external reader option like the SDU001 is useful. Charts can be read from the back card reader or the USB port. I have seen some use a USB stick etc. But if you can't access the chart card at the back at all; then you would need to do whatever for each machine; not just the master.

CHANGED SUBJECT from Active Captain
AHA! I understand....
Thank you.
So I can update the unlocked charts on EACH individual machine via either the card reader or USB port at the back of the machine, OR, via a SDU001 external card reader OR a USB extension to the back USB port?
Because we read of capacity limits for the installed card it would seem to be preferable to remove the chart card to a PC to selectively delete chart files and copy the updated files to the card. Can the chart files reside therefore on the SDU001 or external USB for all ops while leaving the back card reader empty?

So I can update the unlocked charts on EACH individual machine via either the card reader or USB port at the back of the machine, OR, via a SDU001 external card reader OR a USB extension to the back USB port?

Yes, but you don't want to duplicate charts. For example, you don't want the same chart on the micro USB as you put into your USB port or vice versa.

Because we read of capacity limits for the installed card it would seem to be preferable to remove the chart card to a PC to selectively delete chart files and copy the updated files to the card. Can the chart files reside therefore on the SDU001 or external USB for all ops while leaving the back card reader empty?

YES

Back