TZTF 12 install advice

Hello,

I'm installing the following system in my Henriques 28 Express
2- TZTF 12
1- PG 700 heading sensor
1- GP 330B GPS Sensor.
1- DRS4D-NXT Radar.
I have a 526 TID-HDD transducer installed.

Question 1- The radar cable has a note saying not to bend more than 80mm. Is this absolute? I have a choice to leave the entire cable and connector outside, on the hard top or have a tighter bend, routing inside a 1.5 inch tower pipe. Which do I follow.

Question 2- The directions for the GP 330B says to install a resistor pin in the connector before plugging into the sensor. The directions mentions it is for 3DNN. Is this true for TZTF? I assume it is true because I will have a Can bus?

Question 3- What is the bend radius for the NMEA cable? I will be using the "light cable".

Question 4. Can I shorten the power cable to the TZTF? One display will be in a tower with a 20 - 30 foot run and the other has an 8 foot run.

Question 5- I will power the Can bus with a 12V connection. What size fuse should I use?

Question 6- How can I power the PG 700 sensor to test the install location. I think I need a male NMEA connector.

Question 7- I want to verify that the 526TID-HDD will plug into the back of the lower helm display? Correct?

Thank you in advance.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for reaching out regarding your new TZT system.

Answer 1) The radar cable is made up of two cables, one for Ethernet data and one for power to the antenna. You can certainly go below the 80mm bend radius, but I would not recommend anything below 50mm.

Answer 2) Your new TZT system will not require the pin to be input into the GP330B. The GP330B will connect to a standard NMEA2000 drop cable (less than 6M) that comes off the NMEA2000 backbone.

Answer 3) As with any data cable, when the bend radius gets tighter there are more potential problems. I would again recommend a bend radius of 50mm.

Answer 4) Yes you can. Please make sure to keep the inline fuses in place.

Answer 5) The fuse size will ultimately depend on how many devices the NMEA2000 backbone is powering. In your case, if it is just the GP330B and the PG700, I would recommend a 5 amp fuse.

Answer 6) You will need a female connector to test this.

Answer 7) The 526TID-HDD will plug directly into the back of the lower helm display.

Regards,

StoneFly

Let me add a trick for compass location.
Take a handheld compass like used by Boy Scouts. With your boat tied to the dock find you bow's reference point. Then just take the compass around to the various locations you are thinking of using.

This has worked for me for over 30 years.

Stonefly.

Thank you for the quick answers. They are a big help.

Melville. I want to try your idea. I think my boat is pointing due south, 180 degrees. If so, I would verify the heading and take the compass to a mounting location and check to see if the compass still reads to same, without any interference?
I hope I have that correct.

Thank you.
Bob

Melville,
I used a compass to check the mounting location of the PG700 sensor. It had 8 degree of deviation. This seems normal on a boat.
What do you think?

Thank you,
Bob

If that is the best you can find then do it. Be sure to go through the calibration procedure.

The boat is only 28 feet and this location is on the center line, near the mid length.
I will follow the calibration procedure.

I have a few more questions. The first is on powering the Canbus hub.
1- In Section 2.3, the White/Red wire is listed as power to the can bus power input at (+15V). Is this the preferred way to power the can bus? I was going to power it via a switched power source. I will assume that the White/Black wire is connected to the Black wire in the connection. The voltage of my system is 13.5 V, which I hope is sufficient.

2- I want to send NMEA 0183 out put to a Icom 602 VHF Radio and an Simrad AP 22 auto pilot. I see the White and blue wires are the 0183 output. Can this pair of wires supply output to both, the VHF and Auto Pilot? I suspect that each unit needs a dedicated output.

Thank you for the advice.

Bob

Update.
I have the system up and running now.
The PG700 calibrated very easy. I had to align the radar heading slightly, but the overlay works very good.
Integrating the N2K2 was not too bad. The solder connection for the ICOM VHF twisted and went to ground. I used a startup tech from the local furuno rep and he did all set up. Money well spent.
My system is great, but I need to figure out the sounder manual setup.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Back