FA50 AIS

A

Anonymous

I am having a problem with the Tx side of my AIS. It is connected through a Navnet TZT MFD. The TX light on the transponder is flashing orange all the time. The "Sensor Status" menu in the FA50 menu is totally blank. It seems like I am receiving messages (RX transponder light is flashing as to should) and have been recently been receiving emergency broadcast messages.
The "Silent Menu" screen appears to have the "Silent" option highlighted and I cannot change it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Camdarby thank you for your inquiry,
Is this a new installation? What antenna do you have connected to the FA50?

As for silent mode being grayed out, the unit can be wired for silent mode or wired to a switch. Can you please check the wiring and report back.

Thank you.

Thanks Marlin. A bit of background. The AIS is not a new installation. It was working but then stopped. The old owners of the boat were tracking us for about 6 weeks and then we went silent. I did some checks a few months ago before a cruise and it seemed to work intermittently but has now ceased again. I was getting advice of my departure through various shipping tracking web sites.

It works to a single VHF antenna also connected to a DSC radio through a splitter box. I tried isolating the splitter box and having the AIS aerial lead attached directly to the VHF aerial lead without any success. Have tried changing some of the setup parameters to reset the AIS but nothing changes. I have a flashing orange TX light on the AIS box that according to the operating guide indicates transponder overload.

I can't seem to find any switches for silent mode or otherwise. Where would I find this.

Thanks.

Cam

It depends on the age of the unit because early unit didn't offer silent mode. The silent mode wires are Purple and then Gray. They would normally wire to a switch if installed. If they are not switched or touching; then it sounds like your coax antenna has gone bad. A bad GPS antenna will cause you to only receive until you fix it. You might try another coax antenna or ohm out the one you have to see if you might find a problem.

Back