Sounder data intermittent

drewc228

My new TZtouch2 is configured with an older Airmar 600W transducer using model 525STID-MSD (as suggested) and set on "HI" frequency and "Auto" range. On startup I get what looks like the correct depth, but quickly I experience what I call "data dropouts", where the depth alternates from a valid number to "---" about every 30-60 seconds. When underway, I am also seeing the reported depth shoot to very (unreasonably) high numbers, such as 1500 feet and higher. When I reboot the TZtouch2, the data seems to normalize, only to soar once again in a few minutes.
I have done the obvious things, such as verifying a reliable connection from transducer. Am I seeing signs that this transducer is incompatible with my TZ? What else can I check? Thanks.

Drewc228,
First put the sounder in a manual range and a TX rate of Manual 20. Try these two settings and let us know or better yet post a screen shot of what you are seeing.

Snips

Ok, sounder is in a manual range and I set TX rate of Manual 20. Here are a couple of screen caps from a few minutes ago. I actually had to wait a few minutes to get anything on the screen, as it was flipping rapidly from close to the actual depth to 1000s of feet. Currently the depth here in the harbor (low king tide) is about 3' below the keel. I know this is shallow but I assume the sounder can resolve to these ends of depths (shallow here in the SF Bay) Help appreciated!

TZT2ScreenShot_2017_12_5_2_23_20.png
TZT2ScreenShot_2017_12_5_2_42_4.png

Drewc228,
Are you also out of Auto Cruising/Fishing? Below is what my TZT2 does (with no transducer) in the Auto mode and then set to manual. I would restoring the sounders default settings. Then post a screen shot showing both LF/HF at the dock using a gain setting of 20.

Snips

Attachments

• TZT2.JPG
    TZT2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,297
I'll give that a try later today. Meanwhile, here is a shot of the sounder this morning after being off all night. Looks about right to me...wondering now if there is something that is failing or drifting during operation or some other strange behavior that a period of shutdown seems to cure. Similar to what I reported in my original post, that sounder was working normally but began acting up after about an hour. Hmmm...

TZT2ScreenShot_2017_12_5_15_23_50.png

Back