Transducer options for TZT2

Bob Johnston

I’m installing a TZT2 at my helm and. TZT on the tower of my 41ft Tiara.
I’d like to include a DFF3 sounder for deep dropping for swordfish. Can I run the internal sounder on the TZT2 through the 3kw transducer installed for the DFF3 or do I have to install two transducers?

Mr. Johnston,
Thank you for your inquiry.

My first question would be are you planning to run the TZT2 at the helm, the TZT in the tower, and the DFF3 all connected on one (1) Ethernet network?

If so the DFF3 can be viewed and controlled from either the TZT2 or the TZT, and you would need only a transducer for the DFF3. In the sounder menu you have the option to select the SOURCE of your sounder (you can have up to 2).

If your plan however is to set the TZT2 sounder source to internal sounder, and the sounder source on the TZT to the DFF3, you would then need separate transducers for each unit.

Hi - May I "hitchhike on the original question? We also are installing a total of 3, 12 inch TZT2 MFD's to replace our existing NavNet 2 screens AND a Furuno FCV1100L. The FCV1100 uses an in-hull, high power transducer (vintage 2006). We are also removing the Furuno RD-30 with a dedicated thru hull transducer (mounted using a typical large, blue fairing block and has a removable insert and plug). We are NOT hardcore fishing enthusiasts so are not planning to install a sounder other than the internal sounder in the TZT2. Our question - Are the thru hulls typically used on the FCV and RD-30 compatible with the internal sounder on the TZT2? If not, what should we be considering to take advantage of the internal TZT2 sounder?
Your thoughts?
Greg Lee
Huntington Beach, CA

Yes most transducers that would be connected to a Furuno FCVxxx model would be compatible with the TZT2 units. Keep in mind some older FCV units had 8 pin connectors and you might require an 8 pin to 10 pin adapter but you should still be able to use re-use the transducer. The RD30 is a remote display that is typically connected to a "smart" transducer. These are basically a transducer and CPU combined to process digital depth. Those transducers are not something that you would normally connect to a sounder. It could be reused with proper interfacing but not as plug and play as reusing your FCV transducer.

Back