TZTouch 2 and Raymarine Autopilot

eheffa

Hi all,

I have searched the web & found nothing pertinent.

I have a Furuno TZTouch 2 15 on order along with an DRS4D-NXT radar and assorted NMEA 2000 goodies.

These are to replace my ever more quirky Raymarine E-120 MFD. My Raymarine S2 Autopilot with its 8000+ Control unit has been quite reliable however and I hope to keep it running as part of the new system. My Furuno vendor assures me that the Furuno can talk to my autopilot via NMEA 0183. Will this mean that I can bypass the 8000+ control unit in favour of a screen-based command module on the TZTouch?. I'm not sure that I would jettison the Raymarine Control unit but as I am planning the space on my helm station, the RM control might get demoted to a less accessible position if the Furuno interface would substitute...

Thanks any comments or observations on the wisdom of this.

-evan

If the pilot has 0183 inputs then you should have no problems driving it. The TZT2 can output v1.5, v2.0 and v3.0 NMEA 0183 (user selectable)

You will not be able to run the virtual control of the pilot because that only works with the Furuno NavPilot 700 series via NMEA 2000.

Congrats on your new upgrade. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Thank you Johnny,

In light of what you say, I will keep the RM Control Head in its current seat of honor. I am reassured to know that it can at least act as a listener in its NMEA 0183 connection to the Furuno MFD.

I am looking forward to getting the new system installed. I am sure I will have a few more questions before I am done.

-evan

Back