TZT2 Display gets very hot

F

fbitti

after 30 minutes or so, the display of my TZT2 gets very HOT, so hot that I feel pain when pushing my finger on the screen or just selecting something on the display. Is this thing normal ? enyone gets the same problem ? should I contact service ?

thanks in advance for your answers

Fabrizio

The unit can get hot but that sounds entirely too hot. I would have to guess you have a ventilation problem behind the unit or the unit has a problem with an internal fan. If you are not getting a Fan speed alarm, I would recommend you look into your installation and provide some additional ventilation.

As you can see in the picture, the unit is installed on an open deck. Behind it there are quite few cubic feet of air, and is definitely not too tight. BTW I do not hear any fan sound, but I also never look for it either. Is it possible that the heating is due to the high brightness I need to set the display ?

Attachments

• Plancia.jpeg
    Plancia.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,602
High brightness will add to the power consumption and of course heat generation but I don't think you will solve you problem by just doing that. It sounds like you might need to measure the temp inside that console. If you have the required air space but no way for the air to breath it will heat and become like an oven getting hotter and hotter. You might want to see what a temp gage says the air is getting behind that console. If you doubt the unit, It can always be checked out by your dealer or our service center. I would think if it is getting hot enough to burn your hand it would also be rebooting or shutting down. You might be feeling the heat from the screen and the sun together. These units have a fan speed monitor so if the speed drops or stops turning, you will get an alarm and visual notice. They can take a lot of heat. Have you seen any problems with shutdowns after the unit has been running x hours? If there is a problem it should be fairly consistent.

To reach that kind of temp the air inside would have been creating fire, the only part that is so hot is the glass of the screen. The air inside is not creating problem to other instruments. No shutdown issue so far. I will ask a furuno professionals to have a look at the unit.

fbitti":hsjlh540 said:
To reach that kind of temp the air inside would have been creating fire, the only part that is so hot is the glass of the screen. The air inside is not creating problem to other instruments. No shutdown issue so far. I will ask a furuno professionals to have a look at the unit.

You have to understand thermodynamics to understand what Johnny is talking about. If the air inside is warm, or hot, and not moving you will not get proper heat transference from the fins and fan to the air to cool it down. You don't need a fire inside for the unit to be hot. These items put off a tremendous amount of heat as essentially they are laptops with the screens attached to the enclosure of the PC. If you touch a LCD screen for a pc it is warm to the touch. Take that screen and put it with the processor and other components that put off heat and the heat has to go somewhere. It can't go into the cabin so it builds up. If it's hot out and the screen is turned up the surface can get hot to the touch.

Back