Random Blue Screen when Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

houtxfisher

Hello,

I am having a problem with one of my TZT2L15 units, the other is working ok. I will try to detail the events as best as I can.

I originally purchased the units with 2.X version of software.
The unit that I am having problems with was set as the Chart Master and on our second trip out it turned itself off after 8-10 hours of working fine, and it was noted that the screen was visibly warmer to the touch than the other unit. Both units are hooked to the same power supply and I confirmed 13v to both units. We turned off the breaker to this unit and turned it back on but the unit would still not come up. Some time later (1 hour?) it booted fine and continued to work the rest of the day. That night sometime, it turns itself off again (overheat?). Anyway, after a bit, it boots back up and all seems ok again. During the time the unit was off, the secondary unit appeared to provide NMEA2000 data to the Autopilot, etc...

I upgraded the firmware to 3.01 sometime thereafter, and did not see the reboot issue for some time, but it may have occurred on the 3.01 firmware, I cannot be certain. I then upgraded to 4.01 in December 2016 and all seemed ok, but I started to experience blue screen half-boot where it was stuck. (pic related linked below)

The power button nor the screen is responsive when this occurs. You can turn off the breaker and reapply power and then it always has booted ok the second time. I tried swapping the units physically so they used the wiring from the other unit and then made the other unit the chart master and this one the non-master. The problem continued to plague this unit so I do not think it is related to the network. This half-boot occurs probably once out of every 10 starts based on the pics I have taken in my phone and the dates it occurred.

Last weekend, on an overnight the unit died twice, warm to the touch and the other unit continued to work fine as usual. I have performed a master reset, but not after installing 4.01. Other than a master reset which I will preform this weekend, can anyone make a recommendation for further troubleshooting?

TIA,
Shane

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0QeJ8uFzLzHXzNnamVFOTJvU3M/view

It could be heat related and need to be checked out, but I would recommend swapping your chart cards between the two units. The charts are indexed as the unit first boots up during the first few minutes. It might have a problem with your chart card. A factory reset is always a good idea especially if the unit was never reset after upgrading of software. To help determine the full symptoms, power up the other unit first (not this problem one) for awhile to see what happens. This will allow the other unit to be in charge of the NMEA 2000 network.

Interested to see how you resolve this issue. I am having a very similar issue with both of my TZT2 15's. 8-10 hours of working flawlessly then all of a sudden shut off, after a few minutes boots back up and works fine. I have not noticed the screen being warmer, but will make sure to check that next time it happens.

Michaelf74,

Do both screens shut off/re-boot at the same time? Or does only the TZT2 that powered on first shut down and re-boot? (knowing this will point us in the right direction as to where to troubleshoot)

First you need to verify what version of software is in both TZT2's to verify that they both on the same version of software. If not then upgrade unit/s and re-verify if shutdown happens again.

So if the TZT2's both have the same and up-to-date software and the shut down is still happening, then try removing both TZT2's from the NMEA2000 network. If you have a NMEA2000 bus that has errors or if the NMEA2000 architecture isn't correct then most of the time a TZT2 will shut down and re-boot as a safety feature to bad NMEA2000 bus which could cause damage to devices and/or the NMEA2000 port on the TZT2.

Next, I would start looking at possible power issues and verify that you are getting about 12-13VDC into the TZT2. It wouldn't hurt to look at the in-line fuses in the power cables to see if possibly the fuse has been knocked loose out of its cradle, which could cause intermittent power issues.

Lastly, you can always try removing your chart card out of the TZT2. Sometimes if you have purchased charts, updated charts, or added/changed anything to the chart card then there can possibly be some issues there with a corrupted file or format being incorrect which can sometimes cause some weird things to happen as well.

Not intending to hijack the thread, just curious as I have similar issue. I can tell you everything you mention has been done with the exception of replacing the chart card(s). Software is up to date on both. It doesn't have to both at the same time. Happens to 1 or the other and after severals hours of 'on time'. Have had furuno field tech on board, ananlyzed the entire system and network, spent a whole day on the boat. Thought it was resolved then several months later it started happening again. Haven't used the boat much over the winter, so we'll see how they act this summer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

When you disconnect both TZTs from the NMEA2000 bus, do they still power down by themselves?

I've had the same "overheating issues" with both of my tzt15's

I swapped the cards this weekend and then powered up the working unit that had never had problems. It gave me an error linked below, "SID NOT FOUND XXXXXXXXXX" which appeared to be the MAC address of one of the units. I then preformed a hard reset of that unit, and then the error went away when the unit came back up. I restored my waypoints and routes from pen drive backup and all appears ok. I then did the same for the other unit. After it came back up, however, it would not find a chart master device. I went into Settings>Initial Setup>Diagnostic? and you could see a list of all the devices but the other unit was not there. I hit the reset button top right corner and then it refreshed the list and recognized the other TZTL15F as the chart master, so all appears ok. I have not went on a long fishing trip yet, so I am not sure if the reboot/bluescreen problems will resurface or not. I will update the thread after a trip or two with results.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0QeJ ... GdYZFVaaEE

Just curious if you ever got your issue resolved? Still having this problem with both of my TZT2's. Very frustrating to say the least!

Michaelf74
It sounds like you need to open an official support case. If you have opened a case and still haven't seen progress please contact the Furuno Service manager with the case number and details. The forum has its place but when a problem is larger and unresolved, it should be pushed with official channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back