TZT2 15 - intermittent boot up /power up concern

A

Anonymous

We installed a TZT2 15 in our boat this spring and have been using it for the past few months, probably about 100+ hrs logged on the unit. We have updated it to the latest firmware (3.01). On a few separate occasions, the unit has temporarily failed to power / boot up. The process has been the following:

1. Hop on the boat turn "on" the battery switches.
2. The TZT2 power switch turns amber, indicating that there is power to the unit.
3. Press the power button, power button turns black for a moment (may flash green, I can't recall)
.... Here the unit typically* starts to boot up, but on a few occasions the switch and screen will remain black and nothing happens. After waiting about 60 seconds or so, the unit still will not boot (typically boot begins in about 3 seconds or so).
4. If the unit has not booted, the power button remains black and subsequent presses will not produce a response.
5. Switch batteries off
6. Switch batteries back on
7. TZT2 power switch illuminates amber, press power switch and unit boots up.

On one occasion, two back-to-back battery "resets" were required in order to get the unit to boot.

So far the unit has not left us high and dry, but each time this happens, I lose confidence in the unit. Obviously i'm worried that at some point the unit may completely refuse to boot.

Can anyone provide any insight?

Thank you

Ensure you have good house bank power. If you have good power, check your connections. If all is well, then disconnect the NMEA 2000 cable from the TZT2 and try bringing up the unit.

Thank you for the response. House power and connections are good. Next time it happens ill try the NMEA 2000 disconnect.

Would a N2k device issue be able to prevent the unit from booting? If so, that doesn't instill much confidence in this unit...

To protect itself from damage a bad NMEA 2000 network can prevent the unit from booting. It can also cause rebooting issues and many other nasty stuff. A poorly planned/installed NMEA 2000 bus or bad boat power/grounding can have very negative results. If you doubt the MFD, you can always send it in for testing.

This problem has become more consistent. After a few more weeks of dealing with this issue this is what I can report:

-Have checked voltage at the back of the unit (while the issue is taking place) and verified 12.5 V.
-Have unplugged the NEMA 2000 network which has not seemed to have an affect.

The only way I have been able to get the unit to boot up is by cycling the battery switch and pressing the "power" button again. Sometimes this requires multiple attempts to achieve success.

Can you provide any further insight or troubleshooting suggestions before we pull the unit and send it in?

Thank you

You can read good voltage with a meter and it still be bad. I have seen boat where there is noise on the boat coming from another source (like bad alternator or inverter) that will mess up your power. Ideally, you would put an O'scope on the power and look for noise running on the top of your DC power. It would be easier to run the display directly from a standalone battery or power supply and see what happens. You could also remove your chart card and try it. Sometimes a bad chart card will prevent a unit from booting.

Interesting...

This unit is connected to a house battery which serves all of the "house" electronics. In our case, VHF, Furuno Autopilot / Radar / Sounder, lights, washdown pump, etc (no inverter). House battery is connected to the Yamaha motors via the aux charging lead. However, when we hop on the boat the first thing we do is start the TZT, so the engines are not yet running / charging and no other components are powered up. I realize that does not rule out the possibility for noise on the House battery power circuit, but it seems unlikely in our situation.

I'll pop the chart card out and monitor. If the issue persists, I'll look at tracking down a scope or moving the TZT to a dedicated power supply.

Update -
We isolated the unit as the sole piece of the equipment connected to the power source, this did not resolve the issue. We also tried running the unit with the chart card removed, which also did not resolve the issue.

We will be sending the unit in to have Furuno inspect / repair the unit,

Did you solve this problem? I am having the same issue but mine is not intermittent. The unit ran fine the day before, came down today and now I tap the amber light and i can hear the unit power on but the screen and light are black. I have isolated the power to just a battery with nothing else connected but get the same. The only way to turn off is to cut power.

yesterday tzt2was working fine for the last year. this morning tried to power it on, got the amber light but unit does not boot up. disconnected nema 200 network, at dock withclean power. suggestions??

Ensure battery is fully charged, unplug the cable or turn off the breaker; then reconnect/turn on the breaker. Then try. If still not working check your grounding it might have a poor connection. I would also check the power cable for corrosion at both ends. Good power won't work well if the power cable has an issue. I would disconnect any other connections other than power to ensure you don't have noise coming in. If all is well, then add items back until you find the problem connection.

Back