MMSI/Vessel Name Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I cannot find any setting in the menus or in the manual about displaying the boat name above the AIS triangle icon. All I can get is the MMSI number displayed both above the icon in a chart or radar screen as well as in the AIS list menu but not the actual boat name.
I know the name is available as I can see it on the Camino-701 (class A) as well as that data being on the backbone because we are able to see it on a PC via an N2K gateway.

TZTL15F updated to v3.01

Any thoughts?

Your AIS software needs to be updated. AIS units prior to the release of class B (2009) only understand class A messages. MMSI is a class A message but the boat name is a new message type for class B. Anyone using an old receiver that hasn't been updated will receive only the MMSI but not the boat name for any Class B target.

The AIS is a new install, AMEC Camino-701 Class A, running the newest firmware (v1.0.6.44).

Boat names of contacts are available both on the AIS display as well as Coastal Explorer on a PC via N2K gateway (all on the same backbone as the TZT2).

Checking another boat on the dock I'm also able to receive the same contacts and the boat names are shown.

Back to the original issue... The TZTouch2 is getting the contacts but only the MMSI is available, the actual boat name is not displayed in the AIS targets list OR above the icon on a chartplotter/radar screen.

Thanks

Sorry for the long delay on this thread.

Yes, "Display Target IDs" is turned ON. Toggling this option Hides/Shows the MMSI over an AIS target. The name data is definitely being output on the backbone as we're still able to see it displayed on the Coastal Explorer, just not the Furuno.

MMSI #, range, bearing etc is available just not the name.

We haven't had any reports of names not showing from our AIS units and many other companies. You might want to talk to AMEC to see what they can tell you. You talk about the AIS software being up to date but what version of software is your TZT2?

I had updated the unit this spring so it is on v4.01. On the Software History page it doesn't look like there are any AIS-related changes in v5.02.

On a recent trip the customer was able to confirm that the names of AIS Class A vessels are being displayed while only the MMSI number for AIS Class B vessels is displayed.

Names for both Class A & B are being displayed on Coastal Explorer so that data has to be available on the NMEA2000 backbone that everything is connected to.

Verified that the TZT2 IS in fact running v5.02.

Next step?

Since we have no reports of other brands or ours having this issue, I suspect it has something to do with the PGN data from the AIS unit. If you or the manufacturer would loan us a unit, we can do some testing. If this is something you can arrange, please contact our service manager at our main office (360-834-9300).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back