Connect TZTouch 2 to Garmin TR1

larryje1

I have connected my TZTouch 2 to my Garmin TR1 autopilot. Everything seems to be connected ok using NMEA 2000 converter to go to MNEA 183. Issue I am having is that when using the autopilot to go to a waypoint. It will work fine for a short while and then will tend to do a hard over as if it has received a large cross track error. Any suggestions as to what I should look at.

Hello,

The first thing I would look at is the IF-NMEA2k2 converter. To receive RMB data through the converter (RMB is Navigation Route/WP Information which you would need for the pilot to respond to "navigate here" function) you would first need to make sure its set to high speed mode.

High-speed mode is set up by having the purple and black wire spliced together and the orange wire will be cut and not connected to anything. After you change the converter modes you will need to secure power from the converter and re-apply power to properly change configuration.

Also you need to make sure the BAUD rate of the Garmin auto pilot can be set to a BAUD rate of 38400 in order for the high-speed function of the converter to properly interface.

By quickly looking at the specifications of the TR-1 pilot, I found that the Garmin pilot can handle this high-speed rate, however I'm unable to verify if this can be changed at all in any settings.

As long as the IF-NMEA2k2 converter is set up in high-speed mode, the pilot should work and interface properly. If this issue still exists when converter in high-speed mode then I would recommend Contacting Garmin to verify specifications and correct settings of your pilot.

according to the manual RMB and RMC are needed in order to follow the gps to a given way point. I have these turned on in NMEA 2000 side of the TZtouch and going thru the converter. Also the manual states that baud rate is 4800 for the output from the autopilot so I am assuming it is looking for the same rate going in. Also which NMEA 2000 sentences do you recommend to have on, I may have too many of them on

If your pilot needs RMB and RMC at a BAUD rate of 4800 then you might need to take a look at another converter such as actisense.
Our converter will only give you both RMC and RMB in high-speed mode which has a BAUD rate or 38400, and the Garmin needs those sentences at BAUD rate of 4800 which makes sense as to why the pilot is acting funny after selecting "navigate here" from the TZT2

Also keep in mind that you still need to make sure you have a good NMEA2000 bus in order for the converter to power on and transmit data.

As for the PGN's that you will need for an autopilot are
Nav Data
Nav Waypoint and Route Data
Cross Track Error
Position
Date and Time
and SOG/COG

I recommend you install a different converter, one that will send RMC and RMB at a BAUD rate of 4800 in order for your TZT2 and Garmin pilot to interface properly utilizing the "navigate here" function.

can you tell me which PGN should be turned on, there are many that are related to RMC and I was wondering if I have too many turned on.

The PGN's needed for auto pilot are
COG and SOG, rapid update - 129026
Cross Track Error - 129283
Magnetic Variation - 127258
Navigation - 129285
Navigation data - 129284
Position - 129025
Rate of turn - 127251
Time and Date - 129033
Vessel Heading - 127250

Hi, I have just upgraded to TZTouch 2 and have a Garmin TR1, I am just wondering if the recommendations made in this post worked and fixed the problem, and which model of the Actisense device worked. Cheers Andy

Back