Upgrade from Navnet VX2 to TZtouch2?

A

Anonymous

I have a 2007 Boston Whaler 235 Conquest with Navnet VX2, DFF1 Sounder, and an 1834 C radar dome. The interface with the Navnet VX2 is somewhat clumsy and I was wondering if it is possible to update to the TZtouch2 touchscreen display while keeping my old peripherals (eg., depth sounder, radar dome, gps receiver, weather receiver, etc.)

Reading the Furuno website it is difficult to figure out whether or not the newer touchscreen units are backwards compatible with older peripheral hardware.

If I were to get the TZtouch2 screen would it connect to these peripherals or would I have to buy new radar domes, sounders, etc? Is there a kit that would allow these peripherals to work?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

As much as Furuno has always tried to keep products and peripherals backward compatible, it is not always possible when new technologies are developed and implemented. This was the case when we went from NavNet to 3D. New DRS (digital) radar using Ethernet signal cables were just one example.
If you were to move from NavNet vx2 to TZTouch 2 you would need to replace the radar and signal cable. You could use your GPS antenna, but would need to convert the 0183 to NMEA N2K. You could also use your DFF1 and transducer.
However, the TZT2 comes with a very good built-in GPS sensor as well as a built-in sounder that has more features then your DFF1. Your transducer would plug directly into the TZT2.

Thanks, Melville, for the prompt reply. Out of curiosity, if I were to install a TZtouch2, would the GPS signal quality be better using the built in GPS receiver on the unit or if I connected my existing GPS antenna?

It's good to know that my existing transducer would still work; I'm not interested in replacing a transducer (? through hull fitting).

So for GPS and depth finder, it sounds like the TZtouch2 would work with my existing gear, except for the radar dome.

Re the radar dome, which model would you recommend for someone like me who uses the boat mainly for family trips, rarely at night, plus occasional fishing trips? Would my existing mount work or would I need new mounting hardware as well.

I see from literature on a number of websites that the display can connect to the engine to display engine data (rpm, temp, etc.) via a NMEA standard. Would my 2007 Mercury Verado be able to connect or would it be too old?

Finally, if I decide to take the plunge and make the upgrade, is this something I would need a professional to do or is it something that someone who is reasonably handy with tools can handle himself (I'm a surgeon and I like to tinker with things)?

Jack-
The built in GPS should have no problem with reception on your Whaler. Leave the other antenna on until you verify it so just in case it would be adapted. But I seriously think it will not be necessary.

For your needs I would recommend our DRS4L. Here is a link:
http://www.furunousa.com/Products/Produ ... ar+Sensors
However, you might also consider our new DRS4D-NXT which offer some new unigue features that may or may not be of interest to you. Here is a link:
http://www.furunousa.com/Products/Produ ... ar+Sensors

Both of these would fit the current mounting holes. There is an $1100 difference in list price, but neither will require a separate power supply.

I am unsure about the 2007 Verado. If it puts out NMEA2000 (N2K) or if mercury offers a gateway then it would interface.

While the basic installation is something you might be able to do yourself, it might be easier to get one of our authorized dealers to do it, especially if you are doing the engine interface.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to post.

Hello, I just did this on my own on my boat. I had 2 side by side NavNet VX2s. I kept the left one for my current radar set up as it works fine. The right one I switched out for the same reason you are looking to. It was pretty easy, other than the screws holding in my NavNet were stripped. I switched my sirius weather BBWX2 to the BBWX3. I got a $40 ethernet switch and ran an ethernet cable from my DFF1 network port to, the BBWX3 to and the TZT2 to, and it worked like a champ. I did switch out the power cord as it is a different size than the VX2, but that's it. I would like to get an extension cable an run the transducer directly to the TZT2 instead of the DFF1, but it's working for now.

OK. Here's a stupid question. If I upgrade from the Navnet VX2 display to TZtouch2, even the larger (15") TZtouch2 screen is smaller than the VX2 diaplay unit.

So, if I wanted to mount the TZtouch2 in the same hole in the console, is there some sort of adapter that would allow the newer screen to be mounted within the larger hole left by the VX2?

Thanks, Johnny. Would you happen to have a part number for the adapter?

Yes it is listed under the accessories page of the TZTL12F product page.
It is 001-337-430-00 RETROFIT KIT VX2 10.4"

OK; so it's a year later and boating season is getting ready to start. Once again, I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading to the TZTouch2. Here's a question for the group: if I upgrade to the TZTouch2 with a new radardome, is there a market for my old Navnet VX2 and radar dome?

Hi Jonny,

I'm killing myself trying to find the site to download the newest firmware for my vx2 RPU015, 04.03. Where the hell is it??? Can you shoot me the link to the site?

Scott

Just FYI on selling your VX2 unit. I recently sold a 10 year old VX2 (RDP 149) in great shape with the GPS antenna and also the ETR 6/10 finder box for $700. So yes, you can sell them if they are in good condition.

Back