TZT2 - NO RADAR

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased 2 - 15" TZT2's. a TZT9 and a DRS12. I frequently have issues with TZT2's showing Device Communication Error, Position Lost and 'NO RADAR', even though normally the RADAR still functions fine. Calls to Furuno indicated that there are issues with the mixed system currently, and will be fixed with a future software update. OK, so I separated the TZT9 so it is not on the network. I also add an external NMEA2000 GPS on the hardtop. The errors still happen. Removing the TZT9 didn't really help much, if at all, in reducing the occurrence of these errors. Furuno says wait for the update.

The other night (a very dark night) I got the 'NO RADAR' indication on the screen.

jNGKO_VlJKm6hnoij4pxOHxs7SsCUDylLiMIwXt1tw4zkIjS3P6vl1GvPpO3udz54rxtbo9yITD1uvMp5po_l7MfJs4YqmF6g0M4p7f_-DThHdwfrXismsDmyYeH_z4Rg0PG6HSOOy8zS4a1Se6Kv7_IVtDIoV_DXL9xktiGtlllxxLPvp75vh0-EW8qTZEW4tRse3oaaPE1slZJBqeuHxDIv2x30WM5adILDZ-HZ-voEAuDIeH4CVziW9VH9TsdLqDGZ7FyA-RWU29Q7ZFUbJQQbD2z5CJsuLsl7y712IegrcXG7aqv9Ec4ITRmwgWoakoNECiFNiBycEEAtNd7Z7U4xVY3szBcZvNMXYNwG41DlXm1eVO2-UCW7X_prWD4vLhvbn_2wi7O_0xsv7fe9SXmb_UubOtafWz4qE5FHOhe8Zh-TlchLILbuwJsCG9JdXzUVj6GPdSY3JeVrs0EJZ5Wwk53jrZI3HExt46CzQqe5k73ZCw4xDrkv46oltl6J9od7UdkMn-EMMbnNE2hZnqXlq_TqR3M70T4jAQ=w600-h400-no

I didn't think too much about it, because it happens all the time. However, this time the unit was locked up. The display was frozen. I didn't realize it at first since the display looked normal. Then I realized that the display was not updating. I tried pressing various controls on the screen, but it was unresponsive. I was able to hold the power button and shut it down. Of coarse when it powered back up it was blindingly bright. The good news is it started displaying the radar again.

I am very quickly losing confidence in this equipment.

Am I the only one having these problems?

We have a lot of TZT2 installs working fine. We are aware of a few items with the initial software like the communication cut notice. I call it a notice because it is letting you know that the communications to something you were recently talking to on the network was cut off. This happens if you power up two TZT2 units and then power one off. This wont happen if you just power on one unit, or power on both units. It only happens when you have two or more talking and turn one off. This will be fixed in the next software is doesn't cause any real problems.

I have seen a odd things with mixed networks so at least until we get deeper into software versions I don't recommend the complications. With that said, I have never seen the radar issue you report. It sounds like the software might have gotten a bit messy when you were running a mixed system. I would recommend backing up any points and factory clearing your units to clean them up. You will find info on clearing the units under the TZT2 topic area.

There might be something else unique happening on your install or something we haven't ran into yet with other customers. Please work closely with our techs and we promise we will get you fixed up. With any new system, there typically will be something. We haven't seen any big issues yet and overall I have been very pleased with the first release software.

I have exactly the same system as you with two TZT 2s and a TZT 9 and DRS12A radar (and a DFF1-UHD sounder). I have seen the device communication and lost position messages intermittently. It doesn't seem to affect anything, however. I switched the GPS source to an external NMEA 2000 sensor on the tower and no longer get the position lost error.

My radar works just fine controlled by any of the three displays. I have never seen the radar error message you describe even once and my radar shows 230 hours. The only thing I don't like is that the TZT 2 displays cannot show echo trails or do echo averaging or echo stretch, which the TZT 9 can do.

Are you sure all the ethernet cabling is in good shape? What are you using for a network hub? I have the old Furuno Hub 101.

Back